Gearbox 'kickdown' cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox 'kickdown' cable

As per the title. Does it do anything? I have just fitted an intercooler to my truck (all Gen 3 Surf parts) and now the gearbox 'kickdown' cable is too short.
    Strangely, the gearbox seems to work exactly as before - what does the cable do?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Downshifts to a lower gear, (usually 2nd depending on road speed) to enable you to overtake or for more power when driving uphills.

Comment

Yes, that is what I have always assumed. However, my cable isn't connected to anything but the gearbox still changes down when you use more throttle.
      I was just wondering if it had any other function?
      Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
        Yes, that is what I have always assumed. However, my cable isn't connected to anything but the gearbox still changes down when you use more throttle.
        I was just wondering if it had any other function?
        Thanks,
        Mark
        If it's not connected then the transmission is relying on a signal from the TPS and speed sensors to shift gears. The result will be lazy shifting and poor economy.

You need the kickdown cable!
        Once fitted, adjust the slack (with throttle closed) so that you can just see the little rubber marker on the inner cable peeping out of the end of the adjuster tube.
        It should be taut, but not overly so as it will be affecting the throttle cable movement.

Comment

Thanks for your words of wisdom Vince. I hadn't thought about fuel economy being affected by the cable.
          Gearchanging seems much as before.
          I have asked TonyN if he still has the cable from the car which supplied the other parts.
          Cheers,
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X