Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on backing up laptop using BT HH3 and 1TB HDD

Bit nerdy, but someone might know...

I've partitioned the Drive to 500GB each. The Hub recognises the 2 Drives.
    What I can't get is Windows "Back Up" program to see the 2 drives - there is no way of entering info as available destinations for back up, as they appear on a drop down list. Thing is the only one on that list is INTERNAL, so I f I lose the laptop I'm bu*gered.
    Any ideas?

Main point is I want to do it wirelessly, so laptop and HDD are not in the same room for obvious reasons.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

from your description above you are trying to access the drive over a network connection via the BT hub ?

Is the drive attached directly to the hub ? if so you most likely need to create a mapped network path to it and this should give it a drive letter as though it is attached to the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
      from your description above you are trying to access the drive over a network connection via the BT hub ?

Is the drive attached directly to the hub ? if so you most likely need to create a mapped network path to it and this should give it a drive letter as though it is attached to the PC.
      Yes drive is USB linked to the hub.

Yep, done that I think - they appear in (my) Computer as G and H drives.
      BUT the Win7 back up program doesn't see them as being valid locations...I think it only looks for USB or internal drives.
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Why not just connect to USB on laptop ?

Will be quicker data transfer than over wireless and less prone to drop out

Comment

Why not just connect to USB on laptop ?

Will be quicker data transfer than over wireless and less prone to drop out
          So that the 2 aren't stored together. I'm thinking worst case scenario here. I'd prefer to be able to just leave the laptop overnight to back up, in its normal location, with the HDD tucked safely away, elsewhere.

Probably me being lazy, I know, but it just seemed a good idea. Just can't get it to work...yet.

What about using another program for the back up? Any reccos?
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit ?

And under the panel showing the drive ID's do you see a button labelled
            "save on a network" ?

Comment

Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit ?

And under the panel showing the drive ID's do you see a button labelled
              "save on a network" ?
              64 bit and no, not not sure where you mean. let me do a screen print.
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

screen print

Attached Files
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

In Windows 7 backup configuration you should see this

Under the list and to the right, you look as though you are using the HP backup tool not Windows ?

Comment

How do you get that screen???? This is mine...
                    Attached Files
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Click on "Change Settings"

Should take you to the screen in my image

Comment

Click on "Change Settings"

Should take you to the screen in my image
                        Got it, but all that is on that list is BD Drive E.... that's in my laptop.
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

call me on mobile for faster support

Personal number off line until Thursday as require new phone which arrives tomorrow night.

You could try this in the meantime
                          Last edited by Growler; 14 November 2012, 01:11.

Comment

Working...
                          X