RIP Black Beast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Black Beast?

Today marks a sad day in our ownership of our LN130. The Black Beast may have roared for the last time.

My mum drove it down to Portsmouth on Saturday to pick up her fiancé, then drove back to Bluewater. On the way back, it began making noises similar to a blowing exhaust, and it was noticed it was running very rough at idle. It made it to Bluewater where I met her. As we left, she asked me to listen to it and tell her what I thought.

It sounded so bad I ended up running across the car park after just three seconds yelling at her to kill it. It literally sounded like the engine was tearing itself apart. I had a look underneath and couldn't spot anything obvious, so I tentatively asked her to crank it. This time, it sounded like the starter gearing was knackered; it cranked way too fast and wouldn't fire. So, she came home on the back of a lorry - a sad place to see a Hilux.

A mechanic friend has looked it over today, and it's pretty bleak. It looks like the camshaft stopped for whatever reason. Valves are all ruined. He's noted possible causes could be sheared crank/cam pulley keys, a sheared camshaft or... uh-oh, slipped or snapped timing belt (tensioner) He noted there was no compression, meaning the starter was working, but with no resistance in the cylinders. He managed to peek under the timing cover and saw that the belt appeared to be in place, so it hasn't necessarily snapped.

There's no way to tell the extent of the damage until I take the rocker cover off and inspect the valvegear, but all signs are pointing to a ruined head and possibly pistons. Pretty much time for a new engine, but with the cost in the four-digit region, it's not worth it. Sad to say, the Black Beast may be doomed to the scrapyard.

I haven't been able to even tell my mum yet, since she's in Venice until tomorrow and not answering her phone. I'm a little nervous I've had something to do with this - about 3-4 months ago, the water pump failed and I had to remove all the timing gear to clean the old gasket off the engine block. I retimed the engine properly and it's been fine until now, no hint of any loss of anything. However, since then, it's been in a significant frontal collision.

So yeah... RIP Black Beast, you had a good run, but maybe your time has finally arrived.
    An unmuddy off-roader is an unloved off-roader!

Hmm, finally got through to my mum, and she's willing to have the engine refurbished/replaced with a refurbished one. I noticed a dealer on eBay earlier offering refurbished engines for £895 fitted (taking the old engine as part-ex of course):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HIL...item19d6a61efa

Has anyone had any experience of these engine rebuild/exchange companies and can make any recommendations? My mum needs the car back on the road by Friday, too...

Edit: Crap, that's a 2L-T, not a 2L-TE...
    Last edited by gargravarr; 12 November 2012, 23:51.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your motor and don't blame yourself.
      There never rebuilt engines, just merely cleaned, had a visual inspection and anything not within tolerances replaced. Places like that are an absolute gamble at the best of times.........

Comment

For 895 you could pick up a 2.4 surf these days. Then make 1 good surf out of the 2 .
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

I've known camshafts to snap, so the back half dosn't go round.

It's not automatically the end of the world, normally a some valves and maybe valve guides normally cure a broken cambelt/camshaft, the tops of the pistons are pretty strong.

Yon need take the head off before deciding what to do, its the only way you'll know the extent of the damage and then a plan of action.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Damn at that price I'd drive my 2.4 to Dublin port and put it on the boat for you...

Comment

Originally posted by gargravarr View Post

Has anyone had any experience of these engine rebuild/exchange companies and can make any recommendations? My mum needs the car back on the road by Friday, too...
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor...383907?sk=info

Enjoy....

Comment

Wow! That guy needs to get some paragraphs in his life!!!

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Sounds too annoyed for Paragraphs.

Google 'motor fix uk problem' for more tales of quality spannering.

Comment

Dear God, I figured there'd be some horror stories out there...

Then I got used to his writing style and it wasn't as bad! Damn, that guy needs to learn SENTENCE STRUCTURE!!!

Even so, yeah, I can appreciate it's too big a gamble. I phoned up a different company today and they quoted £1650 to collect, supply and fit the engine. We're going to have to give up on the Black Beast, sadly.

Watch this space, I'll be listing it here as a restoration project or breaking when we get a new car.

Comment

Working...
                    X