Rescue mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue mission

Have a read through the thread how every one pulled together to help a forum member. See http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...=129001&page=4
    A bit of urgency here because if the rains started it would have been the end of the story. The reason for avoiding border posts is because you need to pay bribery money and it can get expensive.

A good story: be each other's AA!

Thanx for the link,
    it's a very good story. Travelling around Southern Africa can be testing at times and there is always great camaraderie amongst4x4 drivers, since the terrain can be hostile, garages and mechanics are few and far between and the officials are often (but not always) on the prowl, ready to spot your weaknesses and extract your cash...Plus since there is no RAC or AA, we have to be each other's AA! I am taking the Surf to Mozambique in December, around Inhambane, if the rains have started by then it promises to be..."interesting". How hard can it be to build a snorkel...?

Regards to all

Comment

I would not worry about a snorkel as I certainly would not be crossing any rivers in full flood. I know of a forum member "Borrowdale Dan" who travels around Malawi and you may have run into him. I think he drives a white Surf from the eighties as it has the fibreglass back on it. Not so long ago he was up at Monkey's bay.
      Long time since I have been to Mozambique, but I am told that Inhambane is great for fishing and the locals are friendly. We mainly went to Beira although when I lived in Mutare we did a lot of day trips in Mozambique until one night when returning we nearly got shot up by the Frelimo!

Comment

Moz

I see, interesting, Moz now very peaceful as you know, Frelimo turned into political party. Main danger is police as they love to find something wrong with "azungu" vehicles and passports/documents . New rules in Moz all the time, last year it was reflective vests, this year it seems to be fire extinguishers...I heard you mention Borrowdale Dan before, is he a Zimbo? I am married with kids so these days dont go much down to cap mac, maybe I am getting old. Road to cape mac however has been sealed most of the way now. I 'll stay away from the rivers, I was thinking of some of the roads in southern mozambique, remember a track near Pemba years ago, it turned nito a medium size river in minutes in a heavy storm!

Comment

thans for the link surf 1

it just goes to show there is still alot of people out there willing to help others in need

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
            I see, interesting, Moz now very peaceful as you know, Frelimo turned into political party. Main danger is police as they love to find something wrong with "azungu" vehicles and passports/documents . New rules in Moz all the time, last year it was reflective vests, this year it seems to be fire extinguishers...I heard you mention Borrowdale Dan before, is he a Zimbo? I am married with kids so these days dont go much down to cap mac, maybe I am getting old. Road to cape mac however has been sealed most of the way now. I 'll stay away from the rivers, I was thinking of some of the roads in southern mozambique, remember a track near Pemba years ago, it turned nito a medium size river in minutes in a heavy storm!
            He sent some pictures this morning with the Flamboyants in flower. Made me think of home especially as we are heading towards winter.
            I remember years ago crossing a dried up river bed and halfway across I broke through the crust and ended up in mud. Unfortunately the way the LR chassis was designed created underneath a lot of pocket areas of "suction" and we had to get in a bulldozer to pull it out as the local farmers tractor, a great big MF, could not manage.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Surf01; 29 October 2012, 11:17.

Comment

Flamboyant

Lovely picture. What does B Dan do in Monkey Bay? Is he a member on this forum? The Jacarandas are also in full bloom and this year there's sunbirds everywhere. I did my "stint" in UK but the weather was literally killing me, so it had to be Africa again...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                Lovely picture. What does B Dan do in Monkey Bay? Is he a member on this forum? The Jacarandas are also in full bloom and this year there's sunbirds everywhere. I did my "stint" in UK but the weather was literally killing me, so it had to be Africa again...

Cheers
                He is in Blantyre at the moment and was asking for colour of your Surf and possibly a name. possible that you have met at some stage. Was also saying that there are a load of Surfs in Malawi.

Comment

Sure, my surf is 3rd gen, blue with silver plastics, reg BR 7993. I'll keep a look out for his 1st gen.Plenty surfs here, most 2.4 s have disappeared, as the heads go they get replaced with non original poor quality chinese heads...however the 3 litres still going strong, and also the 2.8 (3L engine) and the 2.7 (3RZ) which are both very good and reliable.

Comment

I will pass it onto Dan Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X