Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Scottish members?

Hi All,
    New to this site. Wish I'd found it before I bought my Surf, might not have made the mistakes I have so far. I have been looking for good Surf garages for advice but so far after 3 tries still looking.....If any members are from Scotland and have found good mechanics, please let me know. Despite this, I love my Surf and this site has been great for finding answers to things like-what's this red button for?

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm new too, only picked my truck up a few weeks ago. Its an awesome thing, love driving it. I'm not from Scotland so can't help on that front, but depending on what your requirement for a garage is, I'd recommend having a bash at fixing stuff yourself, or at least enquiring on here first about the problem.

So what's the story with yours then, other than its a big blue one, a bit like mine Is it a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen? Any pics, I like looking at pics, as do most of the guys on here I think...

Rog

Comment

Willing to bet it's not a 1st gen, they are few and far between these days.
      Brian

Comment

Yeah, but I thought if I didn't include them, the one or two owners on here with them would have got the hump

Comment

Hi Guys!
          MMM If I could fix these things I would love to do that, but I have no experience short of checking oil, etc. I think mine is a Gen 3 KZN 185 auto TD, Blue over silver, minus front bonnet mirror, husband broke that off and I've never replaced it as I couln't see what it was for?????
          The problem I have is with the 4WD ; Someone has welded a piece of metal into the gearstick on the lower box so it can't go into low or hi 4WD. No lights show but I have had all the vacuum bits checked and they are fine. No garage is willing to remove this piece to see what's wrong as they feel something catastrophic has happened to the gearbox but they are not sure. I checked out the price of a second hand box and was put off as we still don't really know what's wrong. After reading bits and pieces in this forum I know it could be something else. Have you guys ever heard of someone doing this? and why?

Comment

Hi and welcome. I'm mechanically clueless but fortunatly manage to use the search function like yourself,it's a wealth of information! It means I've got a good idea what's wrong before handing it to a mechanic I know to fix just outside Edinburgh. He used to work on my father in laws surf so has a bit of experience. Not quite your neck of the woods unfortunatly!
            There's also some knowledgeable members IMHO across the central belt but the're very modest and shy

Comment

Hi, Thanks for that, I'm happy to travel if I can get my Surf fixed, not looking forward to Winter with my boy getting stuck in slightly slushy car parks! As one garage said to me-you'd be better in a Fiesta than that in the snow

Comment

Can you take a few clear pics of the offending part and post them in this thread, I'm curious now and hoping to help.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I'm Afraid I don't have a picture as it was the guy in the Toyota garage who told me about the bit of metal and showed me a pic he had taken on his phone. Wasn't much to see- about 3cm long at the bottom part of the "U" bend where the stick should go around and into low 4WD. I have the gearstick at the moment in the left side of this channel but it can't go down and round. Does that make sense?
                  By the way where the heck is "Daangergozlow", is it in Fife?? He He!

Comment

It's near Denny.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by bblue View Post
                      I'm Afraid I don't have a picture as it was the guy in the Toyota garage who told me about the bit of metal and showed me a pic he had taken on his phone. Wasn't much to see- about 3cm long at the bottom part of the "U" bend where the stick should go around and into low 4WD. I have the gearstick at the moment in the left side of this channel but it can't go down and round. Does that make sense?
                      By the way where the heck is "Daangergozlow", is it in Fife?? He He!
                      You need a campfire, beer and about 5min spare.
                      Brian

Comment

Down and round? Can you take a pic of the position of the gear selector?
                        Alan

Comment

hey and welcome along im new only a week or so

my dad had a surf years ago and when this one came up forsale i had to have it one of them ones

im in stonehouse ( just beside Drumclog ) and dont mind having a look at it

i fix all my own cars + now a surf lol

i dont trust garages too many bad experiances with them

a few weeks ago my brother had his wheel bearing replaced in a 2005 lexus got it back and it was worse with the abs kicking in all the time

the garage said they weren't to blame and it would cost £65 to strip it down and see if they could find anything wrong

so i went and had a look the abs ring was covered in grime and dirt as if it had been dropped on the floor and not cleaned and the abs sensor wasn't put in right either

there is some cow boys out there just be cautious

Comment

Ok Brian, sounds like a good story behind that one!
                            Alan, I can take a pic, but I'll do that tomorrow-It's DARK outside!
                            Also has anyone heard of a Surf sales place that was called "Surf City" somewhere near Glasgow, (Not US!)

Comment

Originally posted by bblue View Post
                              Ok Brian, sounds like a good story behind that one!
                              Alan, I can take a pic, but I'll do that tomorrow-It's DARK outside!
                              Also has anyone heard of a Surf sales place that was called "Surf City" somewhere near Glasgow, (Not US!)
                              im sure thats where they guy before me bought mines i think its in ayrshire

ill grab the booklet and check the original invoice

Comment

Working...
                              X