Replacement ring gear???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement ring gear???

Does anybody know if it is possible to get a replacement ring gear for my front diff?
    i have destroyed two recently and would prefer not to have to keep buy diffs, as it always seems to be the ring gear that dies is it possible to get a stronger replacement?
    my axle code is G294
    could anybody give me a part number so i could get a price from toyota?
    thanks joe

Toyota only sell it as an overhaul kit, I priced one up last year, can't remember the exact price but it somewhere between £700-800, enough to make me not bother!

I did find replacement ring gear and pinion sets in America for about £110 but in the end I found a good diff for £100 in the uk so went with that.

I'm in the same boat though, on my 3rd front diff now and would like to find a viable supplier of ring gears as the supply of good used diffs can't last forever!

Comment

eBay item number 140484749789

I think that's the one

Comment

thanks JD, that is not a bad solution when the diffs run out.
        have been thinking about putting a possi locker in the front to avoid the wheels spinning up as that seems to be when mine get broken.
        but not sure i want any more understeer in the mud as just my rear locker causes alot.
        its a shame we dont have any uk suppliers of diff internals but i guess they would cost alot more than the prices in the states anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I need a trip to the states lol

I tried a stack of transmission repair company's, engineering shops etc but no joy, shame as it would be a fairly easy job too. I've thought about the front locker idea but as you say I'm not into the under steer idea either.

Comment

i dont think there is enough suitcases in the world for all the stuff i would want to bring back with me

Comment

This is probably a really daft Q, but how is the front ring gear different to the rear, surely they need to be the same size for the ratios? Are they interchangeable?
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
                Does anybody know if it is possible to get a replacement ring gear for my front diff?
                i have destroyed two recently and would prefer not to have to keep buy diffs, as it always seems to be the ring gear that dies is it possible to get a stronger replacement?
                my axle code is G294
                could anybody give me a part number so i could get a price from toyota?
                thanks joe
                forget toyota gears they are the weakest of the lot. plenty of aftermarket ones in USA. just get a set imported. they sell full rebuild kits and solid collars as well.

a lokka can help as often its ths spinning off the tire and having it suddenly grab as the weight comes on it that breaks the diff.
                now you will just break CV's but at least they are easy to fix.

check out http://www.gearinstalls.com/index1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                  This is probably a really daft Q, but how is the front ring gear different to the rear, surely they need to be the same size for the ratios? Are they interchangeable?
                  Front is 7.5" rear is 8".

Nev

Comment

tweak'e thats a great link and has given me an idea.
                    now i just need to find a mk2 supra with lsd, buy a ring and pinion gear set and build a lsd front diff and hopefully that will solve the smashing problem without causing the unwanted understeer.

Comment

Hey, John. The crown wheel (Ring gear) doesn't have to be the same size front and rear, to give the same drive ratio. It's a matter of how many revoloutions it takes for the pinion gear to turn the crown wheel through one revoloution.
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                        Hey, John. The crown wheel (Ring gear) doesn't have to be the same size front and rear, to give the same drive ratio. It's a matter of how many revoloutions it takes for the pinion gear to turn the crown wheel through one revoloution.
                        Aha!
                        So the front has a smaller pinion gear also?
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Aha!
                          So the front has a smaller pinion gear also?
                          nah you missed the point. its got nothing to do with size at all. its how many teeth are on the ring and pinion that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                            nah you missed the point. its got nothing to do with size at all. its how many teeth are on the ring and pinion that counts.
                            Not at all...

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                            Front is 7.5" rear is 8".

Nev
                            So lets say both rings have 40 teeth and the pinions have 10...

The ring is smaller so surely the pinion needs to be as well for the teeth to mesh???

Does it not?
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                            X