New Surf owner with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf owner with questions

Hello all. I've been browsing this forum for a little while and finally bought a Surf yesterday so thought I'd join up. It's a 5 speed manual, gen 3 SSRV with a good history and overall in good condition. Just a couple of questions I'd like to ask, if I could:

1 - Insurance. Could anyone recommend where to insure the car? It'll be used as mainly a second car with limited mileage. Currently insured with Adrian Flux (but can cancel within 14 days).

2 - Diesel fumes in the cabin - Not sure if I'm imagining this; it could be that I'm paranoid as it's a used car. Driving home after buying the car, I thought I could detect a very slight smell of diesel fumes inside the car. Could just be that the interior needs refreshing, hopefully, but if not, what should I check? I had the same thing on a VW Beetle I had as my first car and it was a cracked exhaust manifold. Any advice would be appreciated as I've got a 600 mile journey ahead of me next week.

Many thanks.

hello

hello, can't really help with your fume in cab thing other than to say seems a bit niffy to me. Insurance wise I have just bought through academy, quote seemed to good to be true to start with. When I received the proposal form loads of details were wrong resulting in premium going up, however it was still one of the lowest quotes, just take care when dealing with them. Had I not already paid them any monies I would have gone to together insurance as advertised on rough trax web sit. The policy would have cost more but came with better benefits and had more mileage allowance so a better deal really. One I would avoid is sureteam aka lancaster insurance, long story but trust me waste of time .

Comment

Hi Tea.

I'm bound to be wrong with this suggestion, but there's wine involved so I'll crack on....

On my own 2nd gen I notice if the back window is down whilst another front window is open it seems to suck in exhaust fumes. Though my wife's ssr-g with a spoiler doesn't do it just as quick, but it will still happen as the window combinations get more open.

Like I say probably irrelevant but hello anyway

Comment

Hello there,

Try Tesco, (link to an earlier post below), Get a Tesco club card.

Fumes in the car are usually, the rear window open,
        well mine is.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77565

Hope this helps

Gman.
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Welcome, no stink in my 3rd gen Ssrx. As for insurance Aplan insurance have always been cheapest for me, already have another car which we insure with them. 40 years of age and wife on insurance, no limitations on mileage £428 fully comp
          hi dudes

Comment

As for fumes, If you are not driving with your rear window open there must be a leak somewhere in you exhaust, can you here it blowing anywhere ?

Comment

Hi, I've noticed the smell of fumes in the cabin when my exhaust was holed at the back of the main silencer, was only a small hole but there was a definite sooty diesel smell in the car. That was with all the windows up as well. I'd have a quick check at the back of the box.

After fitting a genuine Toyota tail pipe to replace a cheep eBay one I noticed I now get fumes coming in with the rear window down. With the original one and the cheep eBay one I never had this problem, both those pipes were a good bit longer with those ridiculously pointless silencers. The UK toyota spec ones most be a tiny bit too short to avoid the fumes coming up the back of the car.

Have fun with it!

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The rear window's been tightly closed so I reckon I can rule that out. I'll be taking the car to a garage to get it up on the ramps to make sure everything's in order for the winter so I'll get the exhaust checked at the same time. I'll post the findings here.

As for insurance, I'll check out some of your suggestions. I see there's a 15% discount offered with Adrian Flux for forum members so it might be worth giving them a shout.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Comment

Insurance

quote.... "Insurance. Could anyone recommend where to insure the car? It'll be used as mainly a second car with limited mileage. Currently insured with Adrian Flux (but can cancel within 14 days)."

Nick,how do.It never fails to amuse me the varied quotes we seem to get for these trucks.I am with Sureterm,last year it was £256 and this year it has gone up to £284 on a limited mileage policy with me as the only driver,Alan

Comment

If it makes you feel better I pay £2000 to insure mine and it smells like a 25 year old bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
                      If it makes you feel better I pay £2000 to insure mine and it smells like a 25 year old bus.
                      Jesus holy c$$p how much
                      hi dudes

Comment

Working...
                      X