Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

When we tow our caravan and going are uphill the engine gets very warm adn the indicator gets extremely close to the red zone.
    When we level again it goes back to normal

We had a new head fitted in January and dont want to blow

Our mechanic suggests a couple of things. take out the thermostat or do away with viscus fan and upgrade the radiator to an electric one.

has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to remedy it.

Originally posted by karlMitchell View Post
    When we tow our caravan and going are uphill the engine gets very warm adn the indicator gets extremely close to the red zone.
    When we level again it goes back to normal

We had a new head fitted in January and dont want to blow

Our mechanic suggests a couple of things. take out the thermostat or do away with viscus fan and upgrade the radiator to an electric one.

has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to remedy it.
    Karl. Your "mechanic " is an idiot. You should not remove the thermostat. It's there for a reason. As far as I'm aware, the exchange of viscous to electric fan debate is very contentious. If you use the search facility, you will find masses of information concerning the causes of overheating, and also a huge number of tips to help your motor run cooler.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
      Karl. Your "mechanic " is an idiot.
      Yup, he's wrong, so you know, seeing as he dosn't, the stat regulates coolant flow through the rad, if you take the stat out coolant can actually flow to fast through the rad at high RPM and not get cooled enough, and if you're driving round town it often dosn't get up to temp so you have no heating and no properly warmed up engine.

It's not 'special Surf import thing' its one of the basic priciples of how engines work.

A cooler for the ATF fluid is normally the best cure for a sound engine, as its the extra heat of the gearbox oil that goes through the bottom of the rad that is heating the engine coolant up when towing.

Also could be a blocked rad, knackered viscous fan coupling or slipping belts.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I modded my temp gauge as per the Aus site and my gauge did exactly as yours after mod, is there any chance a previous owner has done this?

If not agree with above

Comment

I fitted the biggest Pacet electric fan that would fit on my Mk 3 and it ran even hotter when towing then the standard viscous because it would only move about a third of the air that the standard fan moves so it went back to the standard fan.
          Despite towing thousands of miles the brief rise on long hills never caused any other problems.
          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Mine quite happily pulls 2.5T, albeit with my foot buried in the carpet...
            Diesel torque was lovely, V8 speed is addictive. The electric fan copes easily with the extra strain on the engine. However it is petrol etc, lower compression, and twice as many places for the coolant to flow to!

My advice, as was Vince's as I recall, is control your temps with your right foot. A few MPH less can make a massive difference on a long hill climb.
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

We have had the same problem when we are towing the boat> Firstly I believe we had an airlock after having work done on her. From advice from the forum we left the rad cap off overnight and then refilled in the morning {must have burped a bit it took over a litre} We now have the electric fan on permanetly after a fiddle with the wiring and we put the rear internally heaters on when on a steep climb as it helps to distribute the heat. Good Luck

Comment

Would be handy to know which model Surf he has first to be able diagnose any problems.
                3rd gens radiators are more efficient than 2nd gen's.

A hello would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
                  I fitted the biggest Pacet electric fan that would fit on my Mk 3 and it ran even hotter when towing then the standard viscous because it would only move about a third of the air that the standard fan moves so it went back to the standard fan.
                  Despite towing thousands of miles the brief rise on long hills never caused any other problems.
                  What was the cfm rating of the fan and did it have a shroud around it?

Comment

need to know which model as they have different cooling systems.

don't take thermostat out. removing it can make it over heat ! (as bypass stays open)
                    put a real temp gauge in so you can read what the actual temp is.

with most of the engines removing egr system helps a lot, big high flow exhaust, wind up boost a little bit, intercooler, will all help reduce egt's which translates into cooler running engine.

however most of the problem is more than likely just faulty cooling system. typically a blocked radiator.

Comment

My 2nd gen has an additional electric fan in front of the rad, thermostatically controlled with a manual override switch in cab. I don't know the make, but it's right slim and has a mesh over it to stop small animals and children getting sucked in. Don't have any probs temp wise.

Comment

Originally posted by davef2901 View Post
                        My 2nd gen has an additional electric fan in front of the rad, thermostatically controlled with a manual override switch in cab. I don't know the make, but it's right slim and has a mesh over it to stop small animals and children getting sucked in. Don't have any probs temp wise.
                        So you have two electric fans ?
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                          So you have two electric fans ?
                          I'd guess someone has added a switch to the stock elec one.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That is what I thought too,but you never can tell
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

A-ha! So why is there a viscous drive one as well too and also? Can't you get kenlowe in Japaneseville?

Comment

Working...
                              X