Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
    Third gens are a lot more refined, more of a car sort of drive, second gens are more agricultural like a "proper" 4x4, if you have never driven a 4x4 with a separate chassis I suggest you find someone that will let you have a go, either a test drive with a garage or if a family member will let you try theirs thats ideal. Neither are good on fuel, estimate 15-18 mpg and you won't be far out, although the 2.7 petrol third gen is receiving high praise at the minute.

Which ever gen you choose they still don't have "car" levels of ease with driving and that puts a lot of people off, you have to adapt your driving style as the truck won't comfort or conceal your mistakes, at 2 tonnes+ you need to be aware of what your doing, also having a 4x4 doesn't automatically mean you know how to get yourself out of trouble in adverse conditions, you need to learn that!

You need to get behind the wheel of one and see how you get on with it, they are not for everyone, that goes for all "proper" 4x4's not just surfs, not sure where you are but if you are local to Lincolnshire your more than welcome to pop by mine and I'll take you out for a run.

I use the term "proper" 4x4 to differentiate between the modern offerings most manufacturers have on their books which are effectively big 4wd cars, they will serve most people well while looking pretty enough for the school run and handling a mild snow fall without you having to adapt your driving style. Surfs will not do this, you need to adapt your driving, they will not adapt to you.

Hope that helped
    good stuff thanks jd

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
      Third gens are a lot more refined, more of a car sort of drive, second gens are more agricultural like a "proper" 4x4, if you have never driven a 4x4 with a separate chassis I suggest you find someone that will let you have a go, either a test drive with a garage or if a family member will let you try theirs thats ideal. Neither are good on fuel, estimate 15-18 mpg and you won't be far out, although the 2.7 petrol third gen is receiving high praise at the minute.

Which ever gen you choose they still don't have "car" levels of ease with driving and that puts a lot of people off, you have to adapt your driving style as the truck won't comfort or conceal your mistakes, at 2 tonnes+ you need to be aware of what your doing, also having a 4x4 doesn't automatically mean you know how to get yourself out of trouble in adverse conditions, you need to learn that!

You need to get behind the wheel of one and see how you get on with it, they are not for everyone, that goes for all "proper" 4x4's not just surfs, not sure where you are but if you are local to Lincolnshire your more than welcome to pop by mine and I'll take you out for a run.

I use the term "proper" 4x4 to differentiate between the modern offerings most manufacturers have on their books which are effectively big 4wd cars, they will serve most people well while looking pretty enough for the school run and handling a mild snow fall without you having to adapt your driving style. Surfs will not do this, you need to adapt your driving, they will not adapt to you.

Hope that helped
      Great reply, I used love it when it snows to see all the Chelsea tractors out getting stuck.Drivers getting frustrated and revving the balls of it! It's a 4wd so shouldn't get stuck! WRONG! It was fun driving past them in an old flapper out Fourtrak that's worth about as much as one of there tyres! Hoping it will be a surf this year!!
      Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Comment

An Audi Q7 (for instance) will work just fine in the snow.

The reason 'enthusiast' 4x4s such as Surfs work in snow is because the drivers (such as those on this forum) are enthusiasts and like to do such things, and (in general!) know how to do it properly.

A muppet in a Surf will get just as stuck as a muppet in a chelsea tractor.

Having said that, my old 2nd gen on 33" BFG ATs was fantastic in the snow 3(?) years ago, and even pulled a Travis Perkins lorry stuck on compacted snow up a gentle slope to the utter disbelief of the driver
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Surf77 View Post
          2nd gen 4 wheel drive can only be used on the soft stuff, 3rd gen anytime. At best both will get about 30mpg, maybe 35mpg if your really really good. I have found around town to get a lot less. However still one of the best for a 4x4 of this size and age. I have got to pull my van out of a field tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes!
          TBH, even 30 mph is at the upper limit.
          To say one might get 35 mph, well you might as well just tell him you can get 40 mpg, because you would be dreaming in my opinion.
          I would generalise on 27 mpg on a run, then any thing between 18 and 23 around town.
          Value for money, with the reliability the green ovals can only dream of.
          The Surf is very good, and doesn't cost the earth to buy, or keep on the road.

vette

Comment

Just kept an eye on what km I got out of the last tankful, filled it up pretty much on the fumes, £85 and 520km before the light came back on.

@ £1.40 a litre, that means I used 61 litres for the 520km.

In old money 13.4 gallons for 323 miles.

24.1 mpg (3.0 3rd Gen intercooler)

My 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero (2.3) does worse, 21-22 mpg.

Neither costing me £300 per month on some finance deal to keep up with the Joneses. I'd have a job, he's got a DB9.
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

you can get close to 30mpg being conservative with the accelerator IE don't rev the nut's out of it and drive in accordance with the road and conditions, keep an eye on tyre pressure's don't keep the back full of crap when it doesn't need to be carried about and you can just get over 30mpg if you ignore the above 25/28mpg on a run at best. Mine is a 3rd gen my 2.4 2nd gen was worse on fuel 18/23mpg being gentle on the throttle! It was better after fitting FWH and a slightly bigger exhaust i could squeeze 27mpg on a run but that was about it.
              I would be steady around 60mph with the above figures.
              I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                you can get close to 30mpg being conservative with the accelerator IE don't rev the nut's out of it and drive in accordance with the road and conditions, keep an eye on tyre pressure's don't keep the back full of crap when it doesn't need to be carried about and you can just get over 30mpg if you ignore the above 25/28mpg on a run at best. Mine is a 3rd gen my 2.4 2nd gen was worse on fuel 18/23mpg being gentle on the throttle! It was better after fitting FWH and a slightly bigger exhaust i could squeeze 27mpg on a run but that was about it.
                I would be steady around 60mph with the above figures.
                I am not mentally ready to stick at 60 down the M1. I would feel my life ebbing away But I agree, it would yield you close to 30 mpg. My 24 is a mixture of M-way and around town. We have so many cameras here there's nowhere to rev the nuts off it anyway.

If mpg becomes a big deal for me I'd sell up. But the pros far outweigh the cons with the Surf and what I use it for at the mo.
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Exactly Andy, TBH I use my Subaru Lagacy more for general driving in snow and ice on the road than the Surf, it's far better, being lighter and better balenced (when you turn the traction control off and its has decent winter tyres, unlike most SUV's).

Offroading in deep snow is great fun in the Surf.

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  An Audi Q7 (for instance) will work just fine in the snow.

The reason 'enthusiast' 4x4s such as Surfs work in snow is because the drivers (such as those on this forum) are enthusiasts and like to do such things, and (in general!) know how to do it properly.

A muppet in a Surf will get just as stuck as a muppet in a chelsea tractor.

Having said that, my old 2nd gen on 33" BFG ATs was fantastic in the snow 3(?) years ago, and even pulled a Travis Perkins lorry stuck on compacted snow up a gentle slope to the utter disbelief of the driver
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    Exactly Andy, TBH I use my Subaru Lagacy more for general driving in snow and ice on the road than the Surf, it's far better, being lighter and better balenced (when you turn the traction control off and its has decent winter tyres, unlike most SUV's).

Offroading in deep snow is great fun in the Surf.
                    The snows normally that bad round here that unless you're in something higher than the norm its better to stay indoors drinking hot choc!unless you have an x5 with low profiles on of course!

Legacy are very underrated!
                    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                      I am not mentally ready to stick at 60 down the M1. I would feel my life ebbing away But I agree, it would yield you close to 30 mpg. My 24 is a mixture of M-way and around town. We have so many cameras here there's nowhere to rev the nuts off it anyway.

If mpg becomes a big deal for me I'd sell up. But the pros far outweigh the cons with the Surf and what I use it for at the mo.
                      Aye mate, 60mph on a motorway isn't my idea of fun! it was done to see if 30mpg could be got out of a 2t brick! most of my own driving is done on de-ristricted country roads so at best i average 25/26mpg as i mainly fluctuate between 50/60mph.
                      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                        Aye mate, 60mph on a motorway isn't my idea of fun! it was done to see if 30mpg could be got out of a 2t brick! most of my own driving is done on de-ristricted country roads so at best i average 25/26mpg as i mainly fluctuate between 50/60mph.
                        You may not menatally be ready to to drive at 60, but your wallet might be.

I have a 3.0 'Cruiser here and there is the offical Toyota MPG leaflet in the glovebox and it says...

Urban cycle..25mpg (auto 22.6)
                        56 mph .......32.1mpg (auto 32.1)
                        75mph.........21.9mpg (auto 22.1)

10mpg difference!

(and yes, a 'Cruiser is heavier than a Surf, and can get 30mpg.)
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just had a look in the Lexurf Manual

Urban Driving 6mpg
                          56 mph 26 mpg
                          Erm, top end 3 mpg

Now, most of my driving is either urban, or getting somewhere else as quickly as possible.

I have issues....
                          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                          X