Faulty turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty turbo

Hi all, my first post, greetings from sunny Bulgaria.

I have been offered a Late model Surf SSRX diesel twin batteries, rear heater, for a very cheap price, because "the turbo doesn't work"

The engine was replaced about six months ago after a con-rod broke and the original turbo was refitted to the new lump. The engine runs fine: starts easily, almost no smoke, but just won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. The back-street garage who did the work is clueless, and the staff only speak Bulgarian, so attempts to get them to actually get the turbo working properly have been fruitless. The owner now just wants to get shot of it.

I've had a look through some of the threads on here about faulty turbos, and get the impression that most of the faults can be simple and easily rectified, with a bit of fault-finding and guesswork, so the defective turbo isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Are there any easily spotted symptoms to suggest that a big-price item could be goosed?

The short version:
    The turbo worked before, the engine was swapped over and now it doesn't work, I'm guessing it could be a cheap fix.

Is it worth the punt for a thousand quid?

Thanks
Working...
X