damn bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn bolt

i went to adjust the belts on my 2.4 surf as i was getting a little squeek, slackened bolt and started doing adjuster and felt belts tighten a bit so carried on then bolt went a bit tight and snapped so now i still have squeeking belts that i cannot tighten till i get other half of bolt out and find a replacement adjuster bolt,anyone got one they dont need anymore as i am stuck without it dont mind paying a bit for it and for postage unless theres anyone near bexleyheath kent that has one i could collect

You can still tighten them. If it's the alternator belts then just get another M8 bolt that is at the top if you broke it. Did you?

All you need to do if you broke the long adjuster bolt is lever the alternator out to tighten the belts and then lock it in place with the new top bolt.

Nev

Comment

BTW, you can make another adjuster bolt from a piece of threaded rod and loctite a nut to it.

Nev

Comment

bolt

thanks guys i am going to either get a bolt or some threaded rod, M8 you say thats what i will ask for i know its 130mm long and i think its 6mm so i will see what i can find in my local shops any ideas who would sell bolts or rods do screwfix as i have one near me

Comment

If you get stuck with getting the m8 threaded rod let me know I will send you some. Good luck.

Comment

Can't remember if the alternator adjuster rod is 6mm or 8mm. I know the aircon one is 8mm. Just check sizes before you go shopping.

Nev

Comment

Think its 8 Nev, I will check, either way I will have some.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                Think its 8 Nev, I will check, either way I will have some.
                Think you right, because the bolt head IIRC is 12mm. Wouild be 6mm if head was 10mm.

Nev

Comment

Alternator adjuster rod is m6 with a 1mm pitch
                  Last edited by muddle; 30 August 2012, 14:30.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                      Yes it is M6 you're right. Anyway the offer still stands.

Comment

bolt

thanks for the advice and offers for a bolt but i took it off today and got the broken bolt out and found one the same thread to check the block,screwed it in but only went half way as thread is damaged so i put it in the vice oiled it and slowly tried to recut the thread with the bolt and almost managed to get the bolt right through then it snapped ,loads of cursing at it did not work so i tried drilling the bolt only to screw the block up,came in and decided to ring toyota to see how much and how long it would take and was surprised to find out its only £5.63 including vat for both parts but is going to take a week to arrive so will be ordering tomoz and let you know how long it takes

Comment

Originally posted by davidy2980 View Post
                          thanks for the advice and offers for a bolt but i took it off today and got the broken bolt out and found one the same thread to check the block,screwed it in but only went half way as thread is damaged so i put it in the vice oiled it and slowly tried to recut the thread with the bolt and almost managed to get the bolt right through then it snapped ,loads of cursing at it did not work so i tried drilling the bolt only to screw the block up,came in and decided to ring toyota to see how much and how long it would take and was surprised to find out its only £5.63 including vat for both parts but is going to take a week to arrive so will be ordering tomoz and let you know how long it takes
                          Save your money, if not to late ! I can send you an M6 tap to re-cut the damaged thread and some studding to replace the broken bit...

Comment

bolt

thanks for that offer webbo but i have already paid and collected today and fitted mmm shiny bits and all up and running again ready for dreaded mot,the part numbers if anyone is interested are the bolt is 884466-0020 and the collar is 88469-30280 these numbers are for my car a 91 ln130 2.4 so check with them first as there a couple of different types but at least it will put them on the right screen when they look it up

Comment

Originally posted by davidy2980 View Post
                              thanks for that offer webbo but i have already paid and collected today and fitted mmm shiny bits and all up and running again ready for dreaded mot,the part numbers if anyone is interested are the bolt is 884466-0020 and the collar is 88469-30280 these numbers are for my car a 91 ln130 2.4 so check with them first as there a couple of different types but at least it will put them on the right screen when they look it up
                              Bu**er that I make my own ! If you get stuck again you know where to find help...

Comment

Working...
                              X