turbo almost dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo almost dead

Evening all as title says my turbo has just about had it. It developed a minor rattle on boost a while ago. After almost 5 hours greenlaning yesterday the rattle became a lot worse I checked the turbo today and the bearing have had it, there is so much play I'm not quite sure how its still working . Can anybody recommend a good company to recon my turbo ,or even a exchange turbo . The company we use at work won't touch import turbos for some reason need to get it sorted asap as its my only vehicle thanks all .
    Always up to my neck in it

Ive got a 2 1/2 year old one on the engine Ive just pulled from a breaker you can have that for 100.00 plus a bit of post and packing if you want. Should be in a position to post it by the end of the week.

Its leak and noise free and was boosting fine when I bought the truck (it was a breaker as the head was going).

Let me know what you think

Comment

Dont think Im going to be able to get the turbo off mine in time before I go away so if you are interested I wont be in a position to remove it and post it until the 10th or 11th. If your still stuck by the time I get back let me know.

Comment

Hi Glynn thank you for the offer of the turbo but I have sent mine away to be rebuilt . I know its not the cheapest option by far just want to do the job once and not have to think about think about it for a good long while thank again

Comment

What's the likelihood of the turbo breaking and pieces being drawn into the engine? If there is that much play in the bearings I'd be very worried about driving it.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Turbos don't fail instantly it usually a gradual thing with warning signs ,Like smoking or like mine some very scary rattling noises when coming on boost .there was soo much play in the bearings in my turbo that when i wiggled the shaft I could make the blades touch the body of the turbo .I'm.always cautious with turbos after a freinds lovley mr2 destroyed itself. the turbo had been rattling for ages and he did nothing about it unti one day it finally failed and all the turbo internals were Sucked through the engine and that was the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by ezza24 View Post
              Turbos don't fail instantly it usually a gradual thing with warning signs ,Like smoking or like mine some very scary rattling noises when coming on boost .there was soo much play in the bearings in my turbo that when i wiggled the shaft I could make the blades touch the body of the turbo .I'm.always cautious with turbos after a freinds lovley mr2 destroyed itself. the turbo had been rattling for ages and he did nothing about it unti one day it finally failed and all the turbo internals were Sucked through the engine and that was the end of it
              Hi, I just see your comment that you have sent it away for repair already. I didn't see that this morning. Must have had sleep in my eyes. Again.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hi Glynn thank you for the offer of the turbo but I have sent mine away to be rebuilt . I know its not the cheapest option by far just want to do the job once and not have to think about think about it for a good long while thank again
                Thats no bother mate. If you need anything else let me know Ive got stacks of parts from the two breakers that are helping to make my project truck.

Comment

Don't forget you will need new gaskets when you come to fit it again.
                  Your local Toyota dealer can get the gaskets for you for not to much money.
                  I think i still have the part numbers for the gaskets if needed.
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks got all new gasket on order. They should all be hear tomorrow ,also have a genuine oil filter and 10 litres of fresh oil . And 10 litres of genuine green antifreeze .I thought I might as well do the job right oh and I have a genuine oil feed and return pipe even tho mines not leaking It seemed a good time to replace it

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      Don't forget you will need new gaskets when you come to fit it again.
                      Your local Toyota dealer can get the gaskets for you for not to much money.
                      I think i still have the part numbers for the gaskets if needed.
                      Hi Rich, do you have the part number for the Exhaust turbo to downpipe gasket?
                      Thanks
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                        Hi Rich, do you have the part number for the Exhaust turbo to downpipe gasket?
                        Thanks
                        HIya Tony.
                        Manifold,exhaust gasket 17141‑67020
                        GASKET, TURBO OUTLET ELBOW 17279‑67010 4 studs oblong shape
                        GASKET, TURBO TO EXHAUST MANIFOLD 17278‑67010 3 studs trianglular shape
                        Let me know if these are the right ones your after.

Comment

Thanks got all new gasket on order. They should all be hear tomorrow ,also have a genuine oil filter and 10 litres of fresh oil . And 10 litres of genuine green antifreeze .I thought I might as well do the job right oh and I have a genuine oil feed and return pipe even tho mines not leaking It seemed a good time to replace it
                          Did you order the new banjo union gasket that goes to the rear side of the block from the turbo

Comment

When you buy the oil feed and return pipe from roughtrax it comes with all the gaskets and a new banjo bolt I think

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              HIya Tony.
                              Manifold,exhaust gasket 17141‑67020
                              GASKET, TURBO OUTLET ELBOW 17279‑67010 4 studs oblong shape
                              GASKET, TURBO TO EXHAUST MANIFOLD 17278‑67010 3 studs trianglular shape
                              Let me know if these are the right ones your after.
                              Thanks so much rich! I think it's the 4 - stud one. I'm awaiting delivery, should be here next week or so.
                              Cheers
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X