KZN185W in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185W in Ireland

Hello all. I am moving to Ireland with my 1998 3L SSR-X and I was really worried to notice no other Surfs -truck or owner!- mentioned in the Emerald island!! Help! is anyone out there? is it pheasible to re-reg in Ireland. NB since Japan, I have had it re-reg'd in UK then France (current registration).

The car's a beaut, just had 4 GRT AT3's fitted and the timing belt, water pump et al. done last week. Need a rear outer half-shaft seal and front pads done... frightened about cost of having it done in Ireland?

any leads boys? cheers in advance!
    Jiji Kuruma

Members Dara and Fey are in the Galway area

Comment

heello!!
      if you owned your vehicle for at least 6months and got proof of it, or proof of living where your vehicle is reg. no probs to import (€0)
      the only thing to worried here is the road-tax a year is over €1000 if is a private car €360ish if is a commercial.
      wellcome, where about in ireland will you be based?
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

i am in dublin, i got my 2nd gen in as a crew cab commercial... otherwise your looking at :

the first column is the engine cc....

to go as a commercial you need to go either crewcab or 2 seater jeep derived commercial where you take out the rear seats...

Comment

the work you need done is pretty easy to carry out yourself but if your not confident or able it's not an expensive amount for any capable mechanic to carry out.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

thanks boys! I'll be based in Cork. Irish road-tax is frightening! Great to know I won't be alone out there with Surf. I bought the parts from roughtrax but won't be able to carry out the work myself... and unfortunately, won't be able to rip any seats out and go commercial as I use it with the family... unless we can take the seats out just for registration step and put them back in afterwards, but wouldn't that be an issue with insurance? any leads on good mechanics in Cork? cheers for all the info, I'll keep a sharp lookout for you all on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by jiji_kuruma View Post
              thanks boys! I'll be based in Cork. Irish road-tax is frightening! Great to know I won't be alone out there with Surf. I bought the parts from roughtrax but won't be able to carry out the work myself... and unfortunately, won't be able to rip any seats out and go commercial as I use it with the family... unless we can take the seats out just for registration step and put them back in afterwards, but wouldn't that be an issue with insurance? any leads on good mechanics in Cork? cheers for all the info, I'll keep a sharp lookout for you all on the road!
              will you be self employed if so you can try get it converted for commercial ( you will need a fixed bulkhead behind rear seats)

i will put up pics of my conversion this evening.

you "load space" needs to be 45% of the wheelbase... thats the hardest criteria to match.

Comment

Be careful mate. The authorities here are clamping down hard. If you're caught driving it after putting the seats back in and it's registered as a commercial, you are looking at a potential fine of 100,000 euro. No bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Eagle View Post
                  Be careful mate. The authorities here are clamping down hard. If you're caught driving it after putting the seats back in and it's registered as a commercial, you are looking at a potential fine of 100,000 euro. No bullshit.
                  hence bring it in as a crewcab...

Last edited by BigBobE; 15 August 2012, 22:48.

Comment

Welcome to Ireland.

Dara & myself are in Galway, but Dara just sold his lovely 3rd gen. AntoB is in the midlands, and Budweiser is close enough to you in Kerry. Great bunch of people for advice and local knowledge.

Watch out for the comments on commercials and crewcabs (which are also classed commercial); the rules have changed in the last few years. To tax the vehicle for the first time you have to sign a form to say what business you use your commercial vehicle for, which you get stamped by the Gardai (Irish police). You also need to supply your VAT or RSI (personal tax) number. In the case of crewcabs, you may have to supply the RSI numbers of the people working for you who travel in it with you (that can vary from tax office to tax office).

Over here commercial vehicles are only supposed to be used for work and are not supposed to have passengers not associated with the business (ie, friends and family). It is generally ignored, but you could meet a Garda straight out of Templemore (the police training college) who is trying to make a name for himself!

If you have owned the surf abroad for 6 months or over then register it as a passenger; the tax class can be changed, but when it comes to selling it you can turn it back into passenger (you also don't need metal windows or a new floor if you turn it into a commercial, which you have to do if you register it initially as a commercial).

I know that that all sounds long winded. The full information is on www.ros.ie.

For offroading have a look at www.4xforum.net; a good few of the guys on that forum are in the south, and they're a great bunch to go out with.

Good luck with the move, and enjoy yourself over here.

Comment

is your surf a white one?
                      i saw one going out of Killarney towards Tralee a few weeks ago.
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Living in Cork!!!

Hi all!!! sorry I have not had one second to log back on since moving in to Kilcoolishal, Glanmire!... isn't Cork beautiful! thank you Ireland! =) but work certainly takes it right out of the man.... back to Surf! I do believe I caught a glimpse of a couple of Hilux brethren sinve in Cork, one being light metallic blue... any ideas? I am looking for a good mechanic, a) not being one myself unfortunately and b) having absolutely no time even if I were... again brethren any ideas?

looking forward to seeing you in Cork! =D
                        Oli

Comment

there was a former member fonecrusher on here was from cork, actually down here for the week working... not too sure on mechanics, what you looking to get done...

Comment

Originally posted by jiji_kuruma View Post
                            I am looking for a good mechanic, a) not being one myself unfortunately and b) having absolutely no time even if I were... again brethren any ideas?

looking forward to seeing you in Cork! =D
                            Oli
                            Welcome to Cork....

Mark in Kellehers Garage near Carrigtwohill looked after my 3rd gen for about 4 years, I just service it myself now. He's a good and honest mechanic, you should give him a call.

Tel: 021 4533983

Comment

hi. thanks for your message Mullinsj! unfortunately, looks like Mark's no. no longer works and I could not find his garage in Carrigtwohill (there is another but they really don't deal with this type of truck.... any other suggestions very welcome. btw, I regularly see a nice blue surf driving down to the Kinsale roundabout as I drive into work in the opposite direction. hello to the blue surf man and to you all! cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X