No announcement yet.

What would Happen is a Peugot 206.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would Happen is a Peugot 206.....

Driving to visit a mate in Abergele last night I was cruizing down an a road, which was moderatly windy with blind hills and corners.....at one point a 206 came flying round a bend at about 100 mph, straddling both lanes with me in his sights.....no where to go I stood my ground and accelerated for impact - Luckily we avoided impact by the thickness of a hair on my bottom.

Cant help but think .... what would have ahppend considering my mass and inertia....compared to his....any educated guessers ?
    Nili secundum desperandum

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.

Cant help but think .... what would have ahppend considering my mass and inertia....compared to his....any educated guessers ?

A big crash
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

and a big mess, with bodies strewn everywhere. Even with the mass of a Surf, it'd still be toast. But you'd probably come out a bit better off than the 206, but not by much.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
        ................no where to go I stood my ground and accelerated for impact - Luckily we avoided impact by the thickness of a hair on my bottom.

Why accelerate - doing that you increase the impact speed ie your speed + his speed, would only make thing worse and you allow him less time to get back on his side of the road

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Why did you accelerate? If you hadnt, you would you not have missed by a lot more!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

I accelerated in order to get out of his way, he was coming over from his lane into mine and I tried to get past him faster. It worked.

I had a fleeting thought whilst doing it - hence the question.

Comment

Sorry, but you said you accelerated for impact, so i thought that you sped up so as to cause less damage to your surf or something!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

no my appologies, I wasnt clear in my description of what happened - rushing again !

Comment

Perhaps Flysurfer-Edy was right... ish...?

I seem to remember something about weight x speed?

So faster speed, more inertia?

something like that...

andyL

Comment

Happened to someone I know in an L200. The oncoming car ripped the offside front wheel off the L200 and launched it into the air as it climbed over the top of the car. L200 finished up doing a barrel roll into a ditch and if it hadn't been for the air bags the driver would been taken out in another type of bag. The driver of the oncoming car was so p***ed I don't think he noticed.
                    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      Perhaps Flysurfer-Edy was right... ish...?

I seem to remember something about weight x speed?

So faster speed, more inertia?

something like that...

andyL
                      That'll be momentum, different from inertia. Momentum before and after impact are the same (the conservation of momentum)

So 2 tons x 50Kmh = 100 (before impact). If after impact forward velocity is 5 Kmh, equivalent mass of your surf is now 20 tons.

However, if the other car was going twice as fast, and probably weighed half as much as a Surf, momentum at point of inpact would be equal (i.e. 100 x 1 = 100 but oposite in magnitude), meaning no-one is better off!

I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah
                        That'll be momentum, different from inertia. Momentum before and after impact are the same (the conservation of momentum)

So 2 tons x 50Kmh = 100 (before impact). If after impact forward velocity is 5 Kmh, equivalent mass of your surf is now 20 tons.

However, if the other car was going twice as fast, and probably weighed half as much as a Surf, momentum at point of inpact would be equal (i.e. 100 x 1 = 100 but oposite in magnitude), meaning no-one is better off!

so would i be better off with a fat bird then?
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                          I don't think ANY bird would be better off with you !

Rick
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                            Possibly....cheaper than having air bags fitted....
                            I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Working...
                            X