new surfer update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new surfer update

its been a week. NO over heating mainly round town till today...... 350kms, about half a tank (after being filled to the brim-took about 100k b4 needle started coming down-lol) on a guesstimate - i reckon about 30/32 mpg......not bad eh......? watching temp gauge which was nicely stettled whole trip - hill's and all. (heres hoping that last's )

Only noticable thing, transmission tunnel-near ect switch area HOT.
    And sadly, though haveing just passed MOT, the frnt Washers dont work.

Cant hear motor - ANY ONE had this, and ideas on fix? checked fuses, though didn't find one specific for washers. might take bottle out to check wiring connection!

great Paragliding at Beechy Head.....

Hi Warrior,

Have you had any work done on it at all .....what are you running it on ?
    I am interested to learn more about these veggie oil combo's......is it worth the hassle, where do you get it etc?
    Naomi
    AKA - Mamadwyvin
    www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

Washer motor

Have you any sparks knowledge? Try a meter from the live side of the motor to any ground (chassis connected point). If you havn't got a meter try a low wattage bulb (dash display type). You can connect this and see it when the switch is operated. If the meter/lamp shows current the motor is probably cooked. The motors can corrode-up due to the washer additives and less than usable seals. If you want to play, disassemble the motor and clean the comutator, thats the bit that looks like copper segments round the shaft. take care of the brushes (the two contacts that rub on the comutator). I have done this on various motors with success.
      Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Vegi alternatives

Good vegi oil has a lower "C" rating than pump diesel but can work well in some engines when slightly "de-tuned" There are lots of recipies for increasing the C rating but the additives may attack pump seals etc. I don't think Toyota commit themselves. Bio-deisel made from used chip oil works well but still has duty on it. The duty is lower but not as advantageous as converting petrol motors to gas. The cost of chemically "cracking" used chip oil tends to eat into the advantage. You UK southerners can buy it from Shabitat in Brighton, Sussex for 80p a litre in 25 litre drums.
        Have a look on the web for alternative fuel sites there are lots of ideas and some very good instructions for making bio-deisel. One group in the US have been running a van on vegi oil for thousands of miles.
        Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper
          for 80p a litre in 25 litre drums.

80p a litre??? surely thats a type??
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Update

Funny - dont know how the veg oil thing got into this post - lmao. it was a general comment that i though i had got good mpg on my first longer haul!

Anyhow - removed washer bottle and tested both motors (front and rear) and both working. traced the problem to a break in the wire. SORTED...!!

Comment

Working...
            X