Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen -V- 3rd Gen Surf

Hello

I’m new to this forum and looking for some advice please. I have driven a 3rd gen surf briefly a few years ago, but have no experience of the 2nd gen models. I am now thinking of buying a 3 ltr auto Surf and am torn between a late model 2nd gen or early model 3rd gen. I would very much appreciate it if someone who has owned both, could let me have their views on whether or not there is much difference between the two and in particular, in the ride comfort, handling or equipment levels of the later models as compared with the earlier ones ?

Many thanks.

Hello Ian. Welcome to the forum. You have posed what for some, is an extremely vexed question. There is no straightforward answer to this. It's really down to what your personal requirements are. I love my 95 SSRX 3.0 td, but I'm beginning to suspect that my next Surf is likely to be a later model petrol/LPG 3rd gen. Read up on the technical specs, dimensions, engine and model options,etc, and base your choice on what suits your needs best. "Yotatech", an American forum will give you pleny info on 3rd gens, cause they seem to be more popular over there. I'm only about 20 miles away, if you would like to take a closer look at a 2nd gen, "in the flesh"....Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I have owned three 2nd gens and two 3rd gens one of which was a petrol.

A few of the 3rd gen differences, chassis, better suspension set up and steering. It is also is bigger in the rear seat area and load area , most 3rd gens have multi-mode 4wd.
      The 2.7 petrol is a lovely truck and is the version I would buy again.
      Brian

Comment

Ive had 2 second gens, a pre facelift 2.4 followed by a later 3.0litre. For the past 5 years Ive had a 3rd gen.
        As said already it is down to the individual, but I definitely prefer the 3rd gen. I prefer the lift up tailgate, I like the fact that theres more rear seat and load space and I like the coil sprung front suspension as opposed to the torsion bars. I like having the multi mode 4WD with the centre diff, and although I hope I never see them in action, I like the fact that its got airbags. I even like having a "proper" handbrake. I dont like the fact that my ball joints have no grease nipples, but I can live with that. For me the 3rd gen is just all round better.
        Сви можемо

Comment

Many thanks to Mick, Yoshie and Bogus for you speedy and most informative responses. As you all say, it is a matter of personal choice, but the added refinement of the 3rd gen might just edge it for me. Mick, if I decide to go for a 2nd gen, then I would very much like to take you up on your kind offer.

Ian

Comment

Just to add my usless 2 cents, I have a 2nd gen and its very easy to work on for a mechanics point of view but even how much I love my truck ild probbly go for a third gen

Its as the others say its personal choice and ild just add that if you plan to 4wd a lot that a second gen I find is a little more robust where as a third gen is way more comfy and practical for daily driving and road use,
            What do you plan on using it for most? if its your only daily driver ild recommend third gen

So how many people are going to bag me for saying 2nd gens are more robust
            Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
              Just to add my usless 2 cents, I have a 2nd gen and its very easy to work on for a mechanics point of view but even how much I love my truck ild probbly go for a third gen

Its as the others say its personal choice and ild just add that if you plan to 4wd a lot that a second gen I find is a little more robust where as a third gen is way more comfy and practical for daily driving and road use,
              What do you plan on using it for most? if its your only daily driver ild recommend third gen

So how many people are going to bag me for saying 2nd gens are more robust
              Hi Kiwi

Thanks for your 2 cents and not at all worthless. My plan is to end up with a really neat, un-mollested car, maybe with some subtle customising, but definitely for on-road use only. The more I hear from other members, the more I think it's going to be a 3rd gen !

Comment

on road, i'd deffo suggest the 3rd gen intercooled model.

ive got a 96 plate 3ltr 3rd gen intercooled and its brilliant. I had a 2.4ltr 2nd gen J plate... but I blew its head! I deffo prefer teh 3 for drive and functionality but i much prefered teh 2nd gen to look at. ah well!
                If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Buying again I'd buy a 3rd gen in a flash...

However I'd hold out for a decent petrol, I'm not a diesel fan (my truck is diesel, its slow rattely and smelly)
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Can I add a couple of questions?

Does the mpg around town/on a run remain the same for 2nd/3rd gen?

Can the 3rd gen engine run straight off veg oil like the 2nd gen?

Cheers!
                    C

Comment

Originally posted by gonyosoma View Post
                      Can I add a couple of questions?

Does the mpg around town/on a run remain the same for 2nd/3rd gen?

Cheers!
                      C
                      Yes and Yes.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by gonyosoma View Post
                        Diesel - yes
                        Petrol - no
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Diesel - yes
                          Petrol - no
                          !

Comment

Depends on the engine for the mpg stats, the 2.4 and 2.8 diesels are older and less refined as the newer 1kz, but even saying that im getting as good mpg as a mates 1kz (3.0 turbo) 3rd gen as my 2.8 turbo 2nd gen is getting.

Basicly the same as any car, the heavier your foot the lighter your wallet, plus they are as aerodynamic as a 2 ton brick

Dont know about veg oil sorry as we dont pay tax here as you do, ours is done on distance so we just disconnect our speedos to save money
                            Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Three litre diesel is the same engine in both I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X