Our new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our new car

We bought a replacement car on Saturday as our Falcon is practically dead. I say practically as it still has registration (MOT-like legal document) and it still actually drives legally on the road. After coming back from the states, here is now what is wrong with the Falcon:

- brakes iffy
    - poor running / overfueling / mis-firing sometimes
    - lack of exhaust (but still runs quiet due to catalyst
    - power steering leak / noisy power steering due to no oil
    - suspension makes noises due to car being jumped Dukes of Hazard style (repeatedly)
    - broken exhaust has burnt bumper
    - overfueling has sooted up the rear of the car and the rear offside lens cluster is now not visible at night

So we bought a replacement and I've pleaded with my mate to look after it on his daily drive to work

We now have a Ford Laser 1989. Features include air-conditioning that works better than my Surf! Actually, the air-con has two modes, A/C and Eco. the A/C mode is uncomfortably cold.
    The best bit is that we picked her up for $700. She has some sun damage on the roof but apart from that is in tip top condition.

Another plus is that $40 fills the tank until it pours out the filler. I reset the odometer and yesterday we went exploring some more. The fuel gauge was off the scale past the FULL mark since the level was up the filler somewhere. We managed to do 150km (about 90 miles) before the fuel gauge registered dead on the full mark.
    I think it's a 3 speed auto so not very fast or powerful but a lot of fun to drive. It's a wagon so quite a bit of room inside, but its also narrow so we've been squeezing through tiny spaces. Great fun

I include a photo.

One thing to note is that it pinks ever ever so slightly when on slight throttle. I think the mixture may be set wrong and that the lady owner was filling up with the cheap cheap 91 octane fuel. We put 95ron in on a full tank, its helped but you still hear it occasionally. The idle is around 1000rpm which is why I suspect mixture too lean. It's definitely not running rich, but I don't know what too lean smells like. The timing could be too far advanced but I've not checked what it should be in the first place.

Oh and we had octopus Saturday night. I probably won't have it again (see photo)
    Attached Files
    Oh Nana, what's my name?
Working...
X