@Bushwhacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Bushwhacker

Vince do you have any photos of the power steering install on No. V ?

I have a heavy fluid loss and due to the spread of fluid and tight confines cannot see where from, although it can be seen dripping from what I think is the back end of the pump.

Hi Andy,
    Have a look at this photo....
    http://fourwheelperformance.com/phorum/fwf_need01.jpg

The highlighted part with the two rubber hoses coming from it is the part I delete. I can't remember exactly how I did it on V, (I think I cut off the black plastic section and just welded the open end of the fitting/bolt closed) but it is the most likely culprit for leaking.
    You could replace it with an ordinary M14x1.5 thread bolt with some thread seal tape wrapped around it.
    Access to the bolt is easier from under the wheel arch once the wheel is removed.

The second place they can leak from is the 'O' ring at the base of the fluid reservoir where it enters the top of the pump.
    See the second photo down in this link......
    http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mpremoval.html
    This is a common place for the P/S fluid leaks on nearly all LS400s.

There's a chance it could also be leaking from the high pressure hose, banjo fitting (fourth photo in the above link) Just replace the copper crush washers, available from motor accessory shops.

p.s.
    I have a spare T/case here now if you want to get the 4WD sorted sometime.

Comment

Cheers Vince

I managed to get these pics yesterday

Drip is constant with engine off so to me looks like a loose connection and no evidence of spray with engine running and steering being rotated so I suspect not the banjo union.

From your post I think it is most likely the O ring on bottom of tank. going to pick some up in the week and have a look at it next weekend now.

As for the 4WD I have been waiting on you to say when, as I know you have been busy with No. 9 and have limited space. You let me know when and I'll run it down to you

Comment

Finally tracked down the leak on the power steering pump after trying all of the above with no joy, and loosing upwards of 2.5ltrs over the garage floor

After doing everything possible with the pump in place, I stripped it out at the weekend and found the leak straight away.

On the back side of the pump body and out of sight i found what appears to be a pressure relief valve held in place by a circlip, or in the case not. It seems the circlip had come out of it groove and had very nearly escaped completely, it should be about 6-8mm from the top of the opening shown in the picture below.

Fortunately I had picked up a 2nd hand pump, as I wasn't sure what I was going to find, and this is now installed and working fine

I'll recondition the original, using a full set of seals, bearings and O-rings as a back up for future use.

Also whilst I had the pump out, I found out why the serpentine belt was rubbing, seems I was missing the top mounting nut for the alternator so this was sorted at the same time.

Comment

Marvelous!

Do you have a part number or length measurment for the belt?
          I remember Gary saying that he removed the A/C pump and fitted a shorter belt.

Comment

Haven't got either Vince, but I'll get it measured over the weekend for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
              Haven't got either Vince, but I'll get it measured over the weekend for you.

Thanks Andy but I can measure it when you're down here, no rush.

Comment

When you know what size of belt that is can you update this thread? I'd like to whip the A/C pump out of mine too as its surplus to requirement now

Regarding the leak, I have one too although it doesn't seem as bad as this one. Seems its when the pump is running and under pressure. I'm hoping to get a look at it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X