DIY Rad repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Rad repair

Hi all, any body know any way of a DIY fix for a leaky rad,leaking from the join between top tank and main rad.Any help whould much appreciated thanks up front,Mick

A blowtorch, soft wire brush, plumbers solder and flux.

Use a brass wire brush in a drill or by hand and thoroughly clean the area of the split to remove all the black coating, heat it up with the blowtorch, dip the end of the solder into the flux paste and melt the solder with the blowtorch along the split.

If the split is over 1mm wide, you can solder a strip of copper over it.

Comment

I tend to favour using that epoxy putty compound, sellys kneed-it or minute mend ect they all look like playdough but sets as hard as steel.

Give the area a good clean and roughen up with a file or wire brush and just mould it around the leaking area, much easier than soldering and its never let me down
      Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Many thanks for the replies,ill have a go with the blow torch as i have what is needed at hand.Thanks again Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
          I tend to favour using that epoxy putty compound, sellys kneed-it or minute mend ect they all look like playdough but sets as hard as steel.

Give the area a good clean and roughen up with a file or wire brush and just mould it around the leaking area, much easier than soldering and its never let me down
          I wouldn't trust it!

Comment

should have said thats on the cruddy honda with plastic rad top that i dont care about, for the surf I think bushwhacker has the idea. I havent had to patch the surf yet fingers crossed
            Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Originally posted by mad o View Post
              Hi all, any body know any way of a DIY fix for a leaky rad,leaking from the join between top tank and main rad.Any help whould much appreciated thanks up front,Mick
              Hey, Mick. I had some repairs done to my radiator, just over a year ago. just recently, more weeping hairline cracks have appeared. I went for a new radiator. Since I see that youre running an intercooler, with turbo boost mod, IMHO it would be a good idea to do the same, and prevent a cooked motor.....Good luck....Mick.
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Just finished fixing rad,all water tight now,folks looking at me funny with a blow torch in the rain,anyway thanks for the tips,Mick

Comment

Working...
                X