Head skim or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head skim or not?

After visually inspecting the head it appears to be intact, should I go ahead and replace the gasket and bolt it back together or should I be getting it skimmed first?
    If I get it skimmed do I need to do anything with the valves?
    the combustion and exhaust ports are well recessed in the head.
    Attached Files
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

You don't have to have it skimmed, you can get it checked for "plain surface" which just removes the bare minimum to make sure the head is straight, normally costs about £30 and saves you the job of cleaning the head too

The valves were working fine before so leave them, you can go to town and have them faced and reground but if they were working fine before you won't notice a difference. Modern heads with seats don't suffer from valve recess, they are more than likely sat where they are meant to sit.

If it was my money it would be getting the head checked for straight (plain surface) and put back together

Comment

thanks for your reply
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        thanks for your reply
        Hey, Alan. I hope that you've dodged the bullet on that one, and the head isn't cracked. Have you had it pressure tested? If not, it may be worth taking the extra trouble for your peace of mind. ....Good luck mate.
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

it's going for a skim.
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
            Hey, Alan. I hope that you've dodged the bullet on that one, and the head isn't cracked. Have you had it pressure tested? If not, it may be worth taking the extra trouble for your peace of mind. ....Good luck mate.
            It's a petrol motor, they have a far easier life than the diesel motor heads. The older much more troublesome V6's rarely had anything wrong with actual heads, just need new gaskets as they get old, like most motors.

The 2.7 is turning out to be a fine motor, even after 14 years or so now.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Agreed Tony, it's in really good condition engine wise considering it's age and mileage. The cams are spot on, buckets showing no wear so after head is skimmed it should be good to go.
              Alan

Comment

Working...
              X