Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Surfing...

Well,

Two weeks have gone and I am really quite chuffed with the car. Ok, dashboard rattle is driving me crazy but I am on the case, thanks to some helpful posts. The hubcap was nicked, which is quite common here, have looked around the local market, where all stolen parts normally end up, but no sign of it, yet. Normally u just buy your bits back (wing mirrors, indicator lights, rear lights, aerials etc...anything goes), go home and stick them back on...having had a 2.4 before I must say the 1kz te is so much more powerful, there's no comparison...although I don't want to denigrate the 2L T coz it is a good engine in many ways...

Tested every button, they all work, I even like the turbo protector! If you don't want it to kick in just don't engage the handbrake, turn engine off, and hey presto, engine goes silent. When u forget to do that, then people will follow u into shops tryng to tell you that you have left the engine on. So you walk out with them, the 3 mins have passed, engine is off, and they looked very puzzled!"Haven't really got time to waste on jokes like that", I remark, and walk away...hilarious.

Anyway, mates are teasing me that surf is too refined and "computerized" for a place like this, they drive hilux pickups with manual windows and no headrests...old man emus and all the trimmings, still the surf has got style and the autobox is lovely and smooth...So far so good.

Ok, they don't have to stick their heads in the engine twice a day to check coolant levels,( just for peace oif mind, you know...) but - don't mind, I like the little routine, measuring how much expansion tank level has risen(by the millimeter)...I am determined I am not going to cook it , if it kills me!

Love the lockable diff with the little orange light, I'll need that in the rainy season...just to get out of my drive!

Original radio works, dvd sounds great, tape a bit rough, fitterd an FM expander and now can listen to BBC world services. Even the LCD tv thing works, by opening up those little aerials at back, can see local tv...awesome! They can keep their modded up hilux pickups, I am sticking with the surf, me!

Off road trip next week, sand and rocks, here I come,LCD tv and all, will keep you posted!

Bless you all

Glad your TV thing works - you don't get any sort of picture in Europe!
    I know what you mean about the markets in Malawi. I spent a bit of time in Lilongwe a few years ago. The market there was full of wheel bearings and bicycle bits which looked as though they had been dredged out of the lake!
    Have fun on your off road trip and watch out for the cattle.
    Mark

Comment

Lol

I am glad you enjoyed the post. Blantyre market is just as you describe Lilongwe's, full of of unbelievable junk and all sort of stolen bits and pieces.

The TV works in the sense that picks up the signal for MBC (malawi broadcasting corporation) however the picture is poor and no audio. Still my son thinks its amazing, and actually if you think that the car is 16 yrs old...I tease my friends that mine is the only vehicle in Africa where every single button works!

I'll keep you posted on the trip along the shire river, take care for now.

Comment

I have an acquaintance, a former Rhodesian, that has a white probably 1st gen as it was one of the original Surfs. I think he hangs around Monkey bay from time to time. More than likely you have run into him at some time. On another forum he is known as Borrowdale Dan!

Comment

Borrowdale Dan

I haven't been to monkey bay for ages but might go sometime in august. If I do I'll definitely ask arond for borrowdale Dan, or I might see his truck somewhere, there's only a handful of first generation surfs left in the country. I'll let you know if I bump into him

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
            I haven't been to monkey bay for ages but might go sometime in august. If I do I'll definitely ask arond for borrowdale Dan, or I might see his truck somewhere, there's only a handful of first generation surfs left in the country. I'll let you know if I bump into him

Cheers
            Here is the original post http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=malawi

Comment

Looking forward to the pics, glad the surf is working well.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X