No announcement yet.

I've been here before (insert sad face)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been here before (insert sad face)

My trusty 2.7 decided it wanted to make a sauna out of the exhaust yesterday on the way home from work. I'm really hoping it's just the head gasket, and by accounts of what I have read on Yotatech it probably is but you just never know. switched it off quick (drove about a hundred yards) and I'm now in the task of stripping it down.
    I'll get a 'how to' thread going in the relevant section when it's all done, gasket arrives tomorrow.
    I got a lot of it stripped down tonight and the head will be off tomorrow afternoon. If you have any fingers, could you cross them for me now?
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Hopefully just the gasket.
    That cheap 2.7 I bought last year had a recent head gasket fitted due to lost coolant from a cracked radiator top tank.

Have you found the cause of your blown gasket?

Comment

At least the tools were close

Don't worry we will bodge it back together as normal.
      Brian

Comment

Not yet vince, head will be off tomorrow.
        Alan

Comment

While I'm here, anyone know where I might find an exhaust manifold for one of these?
          Yoshie and I suspect a small crack in this one but failing a good repair I'll replace it.
          Alan

Comment

fingers crossed for you m8

Comment

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Comment

Interesting

Hi Alan. I am very interested in your idea of a step by step how too thread. As a third gen 2.7 owner myself, it would be of great interest to find out what is involved in a head gasket renew. Unfortunately I do not have a man cave (as in the photos) for doing any serious work, as the truck has to live outside, but a mate up the road does. I had the rad pack up on me last year, and it overheated, but it did not blow the gasket or crack the head thankfully. Fingers crossed for your head being OK. Will keep an eye on your progress reports, and hope to hear some good news once job done!

Cheers......

Stewart.

Comment

thanks for the finger crossing troops
                  Well the head is off and it appears intact, the gasket was trashed, water going into piston No1 which is nice and clean now.
                  So I'll be rebuilding it on Sunday, I've got loads of pics which I'll annotate and put in order, I also have some excellent links to downloadable 3RZ-FE workshop manuals.
                  I'll share everything as soon as I can.
                  Last edited by KERRSURF; 20 July 2012, 20:02.
                  Alan

Comment

I also found an ad today for a 62,000 km (3 month warranty and for a few hundred more the option to have them fit it) engine from Japan but already shipped to England for £900, seems a decent price if everything goes tits up with your 2.7
                    I'm pretty confident she will be purring again soon.

For some unknown perverse reason I seem to be enjoying this. It's just a phase, it will pass, but as the head appears to be ok I might as well smile.
                    Last edited by KERRSURF; 20 July 2012, 20:04.
                    Alan

Comment

Head thread here.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76835

Hope it can be of some help to others having the same problem. I love old trucks.

Just as fooking well!
                      Alan

Comment

Truck is alive and purring again.
                        Wee oil leak at the chain tensioner which needs a new gasket.
                        Exhaust is still purging all the water and the cat is smelly, hope it's not damaged.
                        Alan

Comment

Good work Alan, feels great when it first fires up eh?

Have you left the 'man cave' nice and tidy?

Comment

Eh....kind of, I'll make sure it's all polished and in order tomorrow.

Great feeling, even better feeling in the wallet. Is a stinky cat anything to worry about or will it dry out ok?
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              Eh....kind of, I'll make sure it's all polished and in order tomorrow.

Great feeling, even better feeling in the wallet. Is a stinky cat anything to worry about or will it dry out ok?
                              It should dry out.
                              If it's faulty it should throw a fault code.

Comment

Working...
                              X