forum newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum newbie

Hi everyone just away to buy my first surf a 2.4 but a bit worried about overheating issue is there anything i should look for before buying or should i just look for a 3.0 thanks in advance
    Carpetfitters we do it on our knees

3ltr

Comment

Hi and welcome. I would hold out for a 3ltr if possible. I've currently got a 2.4 and really notice the power difference at times, e.g hills! If you go for the 2.4 try and find out if the head has been replaced as they have a habit of cracking. If you still buy it and are unsure about the head, budget for replacing it at somepoint. More importantly enjoy whatever you get.

Comment

Better research about both engines and not just look for a 3Ltr in the belief that the heads don't crack, otherwise you will be buying a 3Ltr with a cracked head. Yes, then do crack as well.

Nev

Comment

Welcome, Neil. Enjoy the forum. Nev's right about 3.0's. They also crack heads. I'd buy a 3.0 because they are more powerful. ( I've had both.). Just look for something that's been obviously well maintained. Hear it start from cold, and make sure you see it running at full operating temps. ( Get them to give it a good revving, and look for signs of white / light grey smoke. If in doubt, you can buy a sniffer test kit, thet shows up carbon monoxide in the coolant system. Take your time, and don't just buy the first one that you look at......Good luck....Mick.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

thanks for your comments if either 2.4 or 3.0 surfs both crack their heads would it be better to get either one thats had theres done

Comment

Originally posted by surferspike View Post
              thanks for your comments if either 2.4 or 3.0 surfs both crack their heads would it be better to get either one thats had theres done
              You are looking at trucks with over 100,000miles and around 17 years old.
              A head cracking is possible no matter the make or engine. Just have a look at the overall condition of the truck, if it looks well cared for it's worth having even if the head goes a month later. A grand puts it right and you will have a truck that will last years.

If you are buying around the Central belt and want me to look one over for you give me a shout.
              Brian

Comment

cheers yoshie might take you up on that have you seen the yellow surf on ebay quite fancy that depending on price

Comment

Working...
                X