Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished the 2.4 to 2.8 swap, but have a few problems

Hello everyone hope everything is well,
    Just another question for the experts again.

Upon finally firing up the new 2.8 last week (recon block and brand new head) and filling the radiator I did the usual warm it up and check for leaks, tighten leaky hoses and replace damaged ones ect....
    After a week running now I have found I have been loosing some coolant, Removing the pipe to the expansion bottle I have found the pipes to be completely blocked, as in even blowing down them with compressed air couldnt pass though.

Have fixed these and found im still loosing coolant and I cant find any leaks and I now have brown sludge forming on the rad cap

Now im hoping despite flushing the cooling system there may be leftover crud from the blocks acid bath causing the sludge and not oil leaking into the cooling system.

Getting on with it, the main question is how much damage would/could have been done with the cooling system pressurizing higher than normal? with the expansion bottle taken out of the loop it would have looked for the next weakest link to expel hot water.
    Could this have done any damage to the new head gasket as I dont really want to have to replace it again but im rather worried about the brown sludge on the rad cap indicating I have oil in the coolant somewhere

On a brighter note, dam this turbo 2.8 has some power and im still waiting to get my intercooler fitted to give it more power again

I never thought a 2 ton truck on 33 inch tyres would try and go sideways around a corner
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Last edited by JD_975; 23 June 2012, 00:53. Reason: didnt read properly :(

Comment

Ok bit of an update, I have flushed the rad twice with store bought radiator flush stuff and countless times with water from the hose in the top with the drain open and engine running.
      I found a lot of gunk in the top radiator hose and this was a new hose 1 week ago, about 5mm thick all round with brown gunk!

Looks like (well Im hoping) my head gasket hasnt set properly as thats way too much oil to be left over from assembly.

Oh well back to step one and pull it all apart and re-do the head gasket
      Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Working...
      X