Going to Le Mans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Le Mans

I'm going to the Le Mans classic race next month so getting the truck ready for the long haul down, I have serviced it with new timing belt oil filters etc but what else would be worth doing / checking before I go?
    It's going to be taking 4 people plus most of the gear so will be loaded up a fair bit.
    Also has anyone taken a 3rd gen with a spoiler through the channel tunnel? as it's quite high.
    thanks.
    Dobbs

Don't think you will have an issue with height as people take motorhomes through the tunnel.

Unless you have a 15 foot lift on the truck.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I'm off to France camping soon so have just serviced my truck. Give the propshaft uj's a grease. Not sure if the 3rd gens have greasable balljoints up front but if they do then give them a grease.

I carry spare oil, brake fluid and coolant (2.4 ) and a set of spare belts.

Check the AA's website for stuff you should carry in France - warning triangles / hi vis vests etc.

For the actual journey I just remind myself that it's not any more mileage than using my truck to go to work and back for a month so I really shouldn't be worrying at all.

Le Mans is on my to do list - hope you enjoy your trip.

Rob.

Comment

Nope, no greasable ball joints on 3rd gens just the uj's.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying...

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Thanks for clarifying...
            Nae bother.

Comment

Thanks I'll check those uj's, all the belt's are new exept the ac belt so should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                Also has anyone taken a 3rd gen with a spoiler through the channel tunnel? as it's quite high.

It'll be OK, a tunnel shouldn't affect the aerodynamics of a 3rd gen, spoiler or not.
                But to be safe, put the truck on a train.

Comment

Make sure you get a Euro adapter plug for the curling tongs!
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Beer cooler

Hi, i went to Le Mans 24hr a few years ago in the surf,to like the others said the usual spares and service stuff the main problem we had was getting the beer cold as it was about 35 deg but another member of the group had his company saab so we left it running for 24 hours with the air con on full and filled it with beer
                    when we arrived we were hungry and joined a large que along side a large artic lorry, burger and chips a sign said. as we enterd the inside a man was taking money 3 euros he said we handed over our cash then a cheer as 3 ladies apeared on the back of the flat bed lorry and started to strip off.omg my mate said im starving forget the burgers i said.

The mother in-law had lent me a blow up bed for the trip. as we were all blowing them up mine slowly began to take shape it was no bed, it was a one man dingy.5 nights i had to sleep in that.

we never bothered watching the racing much spent most of the weekend in the burger lorry .

Comment

Any photos?

Didn't happen if there's no photos.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Any photos?

Didn't happen if there's no photos.
                        Hi at the time we had pics on mobiles but no evidence left
                        it was a dam good 5 days away

Comment

Naked ladies? beer?
                          This is the Le Mans classic were talking about here not the rif raf 24 hour!

A 12 volt cool box might be a good idea though.

Comment

I'm still waiting for my work collegue to come back!! He left last friday morning,and I just heard from him today,and he's back tommorow.I think they've had an orgy of booze and pot!!!!

Mark

Comment

Just got back, 800 miles and not one problem.
                              got 25mpg fully loaded with 4 fat blokes on board so not too bad.
                              I was asked if I was the support vehicle for my mates brand new Alfa Guilletta

Comment

Working...
                              X