I love my Surf but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koi
    Get it sliding get used to it and then do it for fun and watch the other drivers faces
    2 Tonne of truck sliding sideways around a roundabout certainly clears the path of oncoming traffic.

And the ladies love it !
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Iv'e only had mine sideways once and that was deliberate, but then I have always driven heavy, torque(Y) motors ( needed them to shift my disco gear) Volvo Estates, Bedford CF, Ford Cargo (kidding), Transit Turbo D's etc.
      Don't forget our Surfs are meant to be load carriers and most of us are using them for social, domestic and pleasure. Respect the right foot!
      Scariest car I ever drove was a 3.0L i Capri, which obviously wasn't designed to go round corners
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

i reckon you need to get some new rubber as i have never got the backend movin in my 2.4 untill the old tyers got down to under legal tread limit and then only if i dive it like a boy racer and even then it only sort of gave a half hearted attempt, unlike my old 2.o capri , that would spin in its own length given a wet road a a blip on the pedal. what tyres do you have and how much tread is on them?
        so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Get some road tyres for the road and a spare set of steel wheels with All terrains or Mud Terrains for off roading. My Surf sticks like the brown smelly stuff to the proverbial army blanket. It's can be a bit hairy when it's rained after a long dry spell but then so do most cars.

I'm running Bridgeston Dueller H/T (80% road bias).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
            ....I thought they were meant to have grip! Mine just loses it on corners when it is wet and I actually feel unsafe in it. The car itself is great for camping holidays with the family but I don't want to kill them.

Any tip or should I get shut of a car that I like overall?

Cheers...Rich.
            Rick,
            I know where you are coming from on this one, as I made simmilar comments on the old forum. The answer is, as I have found, to get some road tyres. I pondered long and hard over tyres. I ended up with Michelin 4x4 Synchrone's, and they are great. If you want to go leisure off roading, get a spare set of mud terrains. 4wd will get you around most green lanes, regardless of tyre type.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp

Pete

Comment

I run BFG At's on mine and they stick well if i drive it properly, but use the right foot as i did when Andy was following me last week and i got it all out of shape coming off a rounabout. Rear end out one way then back the other. I do it deliberately now for fun but i remember the first time it happened, purely a case of just being to use to driving a powerful front wheel drive car that i can throw around in all conditions.

These motors do handle well but read the following.

As for the back end, drive it round bends. If you alter anything whilst cornering it don't like it and will throw it back in your face.
              Come of the pedal, put the pedal down or turn the wheel or alter anything and the back end will move whilst cornering, drive it smoothly and it sticks, also suspension on hard setting whilst cornering limits body roll and makes for better cornering. Dont brake in the bend keep it all smooth.
              So keep it smooth through/round the bends and it behaves, alter anything and it will missbehave.
              This is not just for the Surf this is for any rear wheel drive car, play around with them on bend and they will play right back.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Rick
                ....I thought they were meant to have grip! Mine just loses it on corners when it is wet and I actually feel unsafe in it. The car itself is great for camping holidays with the family but I don't want to kill them.

Any tip or should I get shut of a car that I like overall?

Cheers...Rich.
                Stick it in 4wd, this is a personal option I prefer it as I find driving around the Potteries a nightmare in the wet
                - as has been said it is a 2 tonne aerodynamic breeze block with a high centre of gravity and the ability to lean over like the Pisa tower. Just take it steady - drive it sedately - it ain't worth changing your car just change your driving style
                NO WORRIES!
                Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                  I run BFG At's on mine and they stick well if i drive it properly, but use the right foot as i did when Andy was following me last week and i got it all out of shape coming off a rounabout. Rear end out one way then back the other. I do it deliberately now for fun but i remember the first time it happened, purely a case of just being to use to driving a powerful front wheel drive car that i can throw around in all conditions.

These motors do handle well but read the following.

As for the back end, drive it round bends. If you alter anything whilst cornering it don't like it and will throw it back in your face.
                  Come of the pedal, put the pedal down or turn the wheel or alter anything and the back end will move whilst cornering, drive it smoothly and it sticks, also suspension on hard setting whilst cornering limits body roll and makes for better cornering. Dont brake in the bend keep it all smooth.
                  So keep it smooth through/round the bends and it behaves, alter anything and it will missbehave.
                  This is not just for the Surf this is for any rear wheel drive car, play around with them on bend and they will play right back.
                  I lost the back end on mine that day, mind you it had rained after a dry spell and that always makes the road greasy. You want to try driving a 3 litre Granada in those conditions. As everyone says it's a heavy car with a quite significant amount of weight over the back so it can be a handful. Mind you compared to most other 4WD the Surf drives and handles very well. If you've ever driven anearly discovery - anything up to about 1998 then you will know how bad a 2 ton beast can handle - significant body roll, no directional stability, and that from a car that has permanant 4WD.

Don't get tempted to leave the surf in 4WD except in slippery conditions, you will wear the driveline very quickly plus the tyres will only last about a week because of the lack of any centre diff.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    If you've ever driven anearly discovery - anything up to about 1998 then you will know how bad a 2 ton beast can handle - significant body roll, no directional stability, and that from a car that has permanant 4WD.
                    Cheers
                    Ever driven one of those little Suzuki SJs............scary when it's wet/windy or...........anything!Good off road though as long as you keep it off sidelands.