No announcement yet.

ball joint spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M8 capscrews, I think they were 80mm . Spring washers too and locknuts.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      M8 capscrews, I think they were 80mm . Spring washers too and locknuts.
      Cheers.
      Capscrews on ebay seem to have a hex head, but the (new) ones I hsve fitted to the new upper BJ's have a smooth round head... any reason, or will either do?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
        Cheers.
        Capscrews on ebay seem to have a hex head, but the (new) ones I hsve fitted to the new upper BJ's have a smooth round head... any reason, or will either do?
        The ones you have in there now are probably studs.

When buying bolts for B J spacers I would not rely on eBay. Could be made out of cheese.

Nev

Comment

My thoughts exactly Nev ... well worth getting them from ya engineering stockist !!

11+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Don't use standard hardware shop bolts John, you want higher tensile ones, something around 10.9 (standard is 8.8, the hardness is usually stamped or cast onto the head of the bolt, m8 x 80 mm sounds about right but I'd be inclined to get slightly longer and cut them down, you will want matching strength nuts and some sort of lock washer, a good engineering supplier will be able to sort you out
            Last edited by JD_975; 12 June 2012, 07:33.

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
              Don't use standard hardware shop bolts John, you want higher tensile ones, something around 10.9 (standard is 8.8, the hardness is usually stamped or cast onto the head of the bolt, m8 x 80 mm sounds about right
              John, as supplied with 4Crawler spacers

Bolt head is stamped 12.9 and they are M8's

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Got these the other day from our local bolt shop... they only had stainless steel... shows 70 on the head is that the strength rating?
                Attached Files
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

"Both A2 and A4 grades come in three property classes: 50 (soft) , 70 (cold-worked) & 80 (high-strength) – the most common of which is the 70 class which is cold drawn” from bar stock"

Taken from here

Looks like you need to go up a grade John

Might be worth giving these guys a call

I can collect for you if needs be so long as you can wait a few days
                  Last edited by Growler; 12 June 2012, 23:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                    "Both A2 and A4 grades come in three property classes: 50 (soft) , 70 (cold-worked) & 80 (high-strength) – the most common of which is the 70 class which is cold drawn” from bar stock"

Taken from here

Looks like you need to go up a grade John

Might be worth giving these guys a call

I can collect for you if needs be so long as you can wait a few days
                    Just read the same on a different site. good job he charged me for steel and not stainless... will contact that co. in am. are you over our way soon?
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                      Just read the same on a different site. good job he charged me for steel and not stainless... will contact that co. in am. are you over our way soon?
                      Your only in Kiddy so can take missus for a drive out on weekend

Comment

Don't use stainless. Get steel in at least an 8.8. Stainless bolt with stainless nuts of same grade will cause galling if a suitable lubricant is not also used.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...CeIlNw&cad=rja

Nev

Comment

Agree with Nev there, stainless is a big no no for steering and suspension parts.

I had a look at work today and 10.9 seems to be the standard bolt strength for steering/suspension, the one`s Growler posted the pic of look pretty much spot on, if you can find similar you wont go far wrong, just be careful when you tighten them up the more tensile strength a bolt has the more brittle it becomes, read as if you over tighten it will snap, and not necessarily when you tighten it!

Growler did you mention you may have a surplus set of 2 inch spacers?

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
                            Growler did you mention you may have a surplus set of 2 inch spacers?
                            I did, but they have been snapped up already.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                              Your only in Kiddy so can take missus for a drive out on weekend
                              ...and you could show my mrs that a V8 surf is a good idea!

Didn't get around to it today, but will call them tomorrow. Will let you know bud. Cheers.
                              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                              X