check your diff ratios!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check your diff ratios!

as i am doing the axle swap on the front i confirmed the front diff was a 4.55 ratio (41/9 crown wheel pinion) so as the VIN said on my surf the ratio should be a 4.88 ratio (39/8) G144 axle but when i tested the back axle i rotated the wheel 1 rev and to my surprise the diff flange span 4.55 times! it would probably explain why i broke 5 front diffs when off roading as i was putting on a 4.88 ratio G144 front diff! so at sometime in the past some one has just gone "this axle is the same put that on!" and not bothered to check the ratio! i guess mine isnt the only one to have had this done to so i would suggest check front and back diff ratios and make sure they are the same!
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Where are the progress picture Danny?
    Get that Mod thread updated.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
      it would probably explain why i broke 5 front diffs when off roading
      I'd guess this should have been a clue no? I'd guess most people are ok.

I had odd diffs in my truck for a while, when sold the wrong ratio by someone, but I knew about quick enough it as it handled horribly when in 4wd on hard surfaces.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        Where are the progress picture Danny?
        Get that Mod thread updated.
        all in good time i am sourcing bit and rebuilding the axle so going to hit it at the bank holiday weekend. should have everything done apart from the shocks as getting 14" ranchos if they fit so have good articulation! they are coming from america so got to get aunty to buy them and ship them over

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        I'd guess this should have been a clue no? I'd guess most people are ok.

i thought it was the V8 with more torque and right foot as sometimes cant really do gently gently off roading ha!

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        I had odd diffs in my truck for a while, when sold the wrong ratio by someone, but I knew about quick enough it as it handled horribly when in 4wd on hard surfaces.

couldnt really tell how it handles truely when off roading as getting thrown about and boucing all over the place ha! hopefully now with more articulation should be a bit smoother??
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Working...
        X