Half shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half shaft seal

Hi, i noticed a bit of diff oil leaking out of one of my rear wheels. I have 2 questions:

Is this likely to be the rear inner axle seal or will it be the outer half shaft seal? I've ordered both anyway as they were only cheap.

And:

I've booked it in to be done at a local garage who are very good, but i seem to remember Tonyn saying that people always miss a snap ring or that they have some kind of difficulty in doing this job if they've not done it before on a KZN130?

I just want to let the bloke know before he does it.

Thanks.

The hidden snap ring is behind the ABS ring on 3rd Gens, you can see it fine on 2nd Gens.

The main difficulty is if you don't have the special tool for pressing everything off easily, you have cut the retaining ring and the bearing off the shaft, which isn't very professional and risks damaging the shaft.

It's no different to any Hilux Pickup, so not really anything mysterious, or tricky 'cos its am import mate'.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

... and hopefully it's just the seal(s), not a excessively worn bearing that has allowed the shaft to move, goosing the seal(s).

Comment

Working...
      X