Charging mobility scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging mobility scooter

We have bought one of those lightweight traveling mobility scooters. In the back of the Surf there is a 12v socket and I was wondering if this could be used to re-charge the scooter battery or would the wiring to the socket need to be changed for something a bit more heavy duty?
    It would be nice if the scooter battery recharged while we were on the move as it would save a lot of hassle.

I would say if the socket was fitted correctly it would be fused. And as the charging battery would not draw many amps it will be fine to use.

Comment

Thanks. Just hope it doesn't blow the radio fuse as I am not sure of the radio code.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
        Thanks. Just hope it doesn't blow the radio fuse as I am not sure of the radio code.
        Change it to one you are sure of!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Change it to one you are sure of!
          The radio, the fuse or me? LOL!

Comment

The radio, the fuse or me? LOL!
            Possibly all 3, but I'd start with the code.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

We have bought one of those lightweight traveling mobility scooters. In the back of the Surf there is a 12v socket and I was wondering if this could be used to re-charge the scooter battery or would the wiring to the socket need to be changed for something a bit more heavy duty?
              It would be nice if the scooter battery recharged while we were on the move as it would save a lot of hassle.

What do you normally use to charge the scooter battery?

Comment

You might find the scooter batterys are wired as 24V (two 12V's) both ours are and ones a real small "buckingham" 3 wheel, check the output of the scooter charger before you start, been looking to do this for ages and it seems a 12v - 24v invertor is the only way, yet to find one,
                both ours have 3 pins in the charging socket,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  You might find the scooter batterys are wired as 24V (two 12V's) both ours are and ones a real small "buckingham" 3 wheel, check the output of the scooter charger before you start, been looking to do this for ages and it seems a 12v - 24v invertor is the only way, yet to find one,
                  both ours have 3 pins in the charging socket,
                  This is the one that I am getting and it has 2 x 12v batteries, but no idea how it is wired up for re-charging.

Comment

Looks like it is 24 Volt. I wouldn't use anything but the proper charger.

http://www.ilsau.com.au/scooters/sco...lite-traveller

Nev
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 14 May 2012, 08:20.

Comment

Wow they are expensive in Oz. I paid £445 for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                        Looks like it is 24 Volt. I wouldn't use anything but the proper charger.

http://www.ilsau.com.au/scooters/sco...lite-traveller

Nev
                        thats what i wanted to do, use an inverter to plug the scooters charger into,
                        whatever you do dont just plug scooter batterys into the trucks wiring, that will prob either burn or blow the scooter batterys as they are gellcell and need a very low trickle charge,
                        a mains inverter should do it, i'd just like to know if you can leave an inverter on for several hours which is the time it takes to charge one of these scooter power packs?????????
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I think several hours is if the batteries are totally flat. Doubt if we will get to that stage very often, but if we do then we can charge it on mains.

Comment

Working...
                          X