Clear All

sorry!!! i thought one of those was for the glow plugs,,,,
    i'll be off now then
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
      sorry!!! i thought one of those was for the glow plugs,,,,
      i'll be off now then
      no need bud, all ideas and thoughts are appreciated....

Comment

To put this episode to bed.

Checked the batteries, one knackered one on its way. Changed them both.

Checked and cleaned all connections on both batteries,alternator and earth straps. One earth was a poxy little thing, so changed that for a heavier duty one.

Got to the starter, the top securing nut was missing and the starter was hanging loose,clean bits visible at the top of it, just secured by the bottom bolt.So I assume the terminal was shorting on occasions, causing the fuses to blow. Any way, all bolted up with spring washers and thread lock, so should be ok now.

It was that loose that I wonder how it even started the engine. Lesson learned though.

Thanks to TinTin for the spares fuses..........

Comment

Glad you found the problem, how on earth did the starter get to be missing it's bolts?

Comment

Glad you found the problem, how on earth did the starter get to be missing it's bolts?
            God knows, could have been like that since I got the car, i really don`t know. It does a lot of off road stuff, not serious like you guys, but plenty of gentler stuff. Suppose it could have worked loose, but it has a spring washer and thread loc on now so should be ok.

Comment

You're welcome mate, glad you've got it sorted!

Alan
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

I should imagine the last person who refitted it couldnt be arsed to tighten it up correctly as they are not the easiest to get at.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                  I should imagine the last person who refitted it couldnt be arsed to tighten it up correctly as they are not the easiest to get at.
                  When I first looked at it, I thought "that looks a bugger to get at", but access is easy through the nearside wheel arch, just move the rubber skirting and it is there in front of you. 17 mm socket and the thread is metric fine 12mm, 1.25. Local engineering shop had some in stock.Lower bolt screws through the bellhousing into the starter, top is a stud from the starter through the bell housing.

Comment

Even easier to get at with a 2" body lift

Comment

Even easier to get at with a 2" body lift
                      Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh....... ...already been looking at that option........

Comment

Working...
                      X