MOT Time...again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Time...again...

well it went in today, and failed as expected on worn CV boots. No biggy.
    It also failed on excessive play in a number of ball joints and one drop link.
    Now last year it sailed through, (at the same MOT place) so I'm thinking, was he looking to fail it on "something" or has there been excessive wear on the BJ's in the last year?
    Would off roading exasperate this, or do you reckon it's just one of those things, and they've come to the end of their lives? I understand BJ's are consumable, but just thoughtful of why so many have got play...
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

I've had aftermarket balljoints fail within 2 years of fitting so I doubt he's 'trying it on'

Big tyres may make them wear out quicker than usual.

Edit: I fitted new droplinks all round (from milners) 3 years ago and all the rubbers have small splits in them already. Passed the last mot fine but not inspiring considering the ones I took off were probably 16 years old..
    Last edited by wishbone; 8 May 2012, 23:39.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      I've had aftermarket balljoints fail within 2 years of fitting so I doubt he's 'trying it on'

Big tyres may make them wear out quicker than usual.

Edit: I fitted new droplinks all round (from milners) 3 years ago and all the rubbers have small splits in them already. Passed the last mot fine but not inspiring considering the ones I took off were probably 16 years old..
      fair play, so the (probably) unipart "parts" he's fitted will do the job, but not like the Toyota ones he's taken off. glad to hear I'm not alone, just wanted to be sure.
      iirc, puddlesurfer had a few "issues" with his bj's after his trip out to avalanche last year, again i'm wondering if the cause was the terrain, or 15 years of previous wear!
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

You might want to back the front lift off a little, its pretty maxed out. When you jack the front of your truck up and let the wheels hang the CV's actually bind up.

It munches steering components when they running at maximum angles all the time, instead of in the middle of their movement range.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony, its on my list of things to do! Will bj spacers give lift without the same stresses as maxed out TB's?
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            Cheers Tony, its on my list of things to do! Will bj spacers give lift without the same stresses as maxed out TB's?
            Will make things worse at full droop.

Comment

If you fit bj spacers and raise it to the same as it is now , the top bj will be under less stress , the torsion bars will be under less stress . But the bottom bj will be under the same stress as the bottom arm will still be at the same angle as it is with just torsion bars wound up.
              PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X