yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many kms is a 3.0lt diesel good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many kms is a 3.0lt diesel good for?

Hi, just looking at buying a Surf, something like a 1995-96 3.0lt turbo diesel, and was wondering how many kms are these vehicles good for before they start packing up? or at least until you're up for some major cost of maintenance.

In NZ we generally get the ones from Japan that have done about 90-100k.

Originally posted by tim360
    Hi, just looking at buying a Surf, something like a 1995-96 3.0lt turbo diesel, and was wondering how many kms are these vehicles good for before they start packing up? or at least until you're up for some major cost of maintenance.

that really depends how they are looked after

Comment

The 3ltr hasn't really had many problems. There have been isolated cases regarding the head but this was more associated to the 2.4 from the late 80's to the early 90's
      95 - 96 was the point of change over from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen (the 3rd gen is based on the Landcruiser Colorado chassis and uses the same running gear) ANY elderly vehilce with high milage will be susceptible to breakdowns but remember this is a Toyota you're looking at and the general reliabilty is excellent. I have a '94 V6 4runner and I wish I'd got into Toyota years ago as it is superbly reliable.
      I don't think you'd be disappointed with the truck. test drive some and see how it goes
      Good luck
      NO WORRIES!
      Rusty

Comment

.......and those readings would feature on a Tui beer billboard

Where abouts are you in NZ
        I'm on the 'Shore
        As for reliability and mileage, well I've got a 2.4 thats up to 251,000 ks and my brothers has done 275.
        I am no proffessor on the 3 litres but I'm told they are good, a couple of the guys at my station have them and rave about them.
        Well we all rave about our Surfs on here
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

My Prado engine died at 73,000Km for reasons that remain entirely unknown. I owned it for 3 of its 4 years and it was always regularly serviced and never gave any trouble until immediately before it self destructed. I've heard of at least 2 other 1KZ's suffering catastrophic failures almost identical to the damage mine suffered (bent rod, cracked piston, cracked head, and block). My feeling (just a feeling) is that the 1KZ engines are not very strong compared to the 2.4's.

Toyota (or Jemca) claimed that the damage was caused by a faulty injection pump but I had the pump tested and there was nothing wrong with it. The closest anyone has come to a plausible reason for the short life is that I used to leave it idling in the yard for long periods; sometimes most of the day in the winter. I treat 2.4 diesels exactly the same way and I've never had one of them fail so I'm not too impressed with this as a reason.

Comment

I know of two 3lt UK 4Runners on 150000 miles and still sweet.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

140,000 miles on our UK 4runner 3.0TD 1995/96 - hopefully going to last a lot longer.
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
              X