Question for the bikers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the bikers

We have just picked up this Honda Hornet 600 for my 18 year old stepson,who passed his bike test on Tuesday. It needs 2 new tyres what would you recommend.
    Attached Files
    I'm a custard donut monster

Originally posted by jotto View Post
    We have just picked up this Honda Hornet 600 for my 18 year old stepson,who passed his bike test on Tuesday. It needs 2 new tyres what would you recommend.
    Metzeler Sportec M3, an excellent all-rounder. He'll get a season out of the rear, 2 out of the front.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Personaly i would fit Bridgestone BT45s they always give me good service.

Comment

pirelli sport demon 2
        Sticks like glue to the road, and (so far) not very fast wearing out,
        Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

I agree with all of those tyres, always liked the Hornet, quite fancied the one with the detuned Fireblade Engine....

Comment

A Hornet at 18? Lucky boy!!

I fitted a set of Dunlop SportSmarts to my R1 and they are stonking tyres........great in the wet and dry and they are wearing really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Davies View Post

I fitted a set of Dunlop SportSmarts to my R1 and they are stonking tyres........great in the wet and dry and they are wearing really well.
              Very nearly 19. We got the Hornet very cheap originally advertised at £1400
              but when I phoned the guy about it he said it was tatty and needed 2 new tyres and that it had 63000 on the clock so had reduced the price down to £900. When we went to see it I took a guy from work with us who knows bikes and he could not find anything wrong with it , so I asked if if he was open to any offers expecting maybe another £50 off but he came back with I'll take £700 for it.

So my stepson now has to get it restricted(£200) put 2 tyres(200ish) on it and 1 indicator lense (£4). A one owner, looked after bike at a very good price. He's a very happy boy.

Thanks to all for your input will pass it on and let him make a decision on what to put on.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by Davies View Post

Yup same here on my zx6 & they are an excellent all rounder.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

We got our Son a Bandit 600, lo and behold we need new tyres !! Where do you get yours from Si ? The royal bank of Dad still coughing up 25 years on !
                  Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

On a similar sized bike - SV650S I used Pirelli Diablo strada (think these have been replaced by Angel ST) they lasted almost 9000 miles of mixed and often spirited riding before squaring.

Dont get Dunlop D220 - Crap no feel from the front end.

I use Bridgestones - BT016's are ok but Im on BT023GTs (you would only need BT023 as the GT is for heavier bikes) they are a sport touring tyre so good at everything and very good in the wet which is always a bonus for an inexperienced rider which I assume your boy is. They also have a triple compound tread so last ages.

Its tempting to go for sport tyres but there are always trade off's what you gain in the dry you often lose in longevity and wet weather performance.

Comment

At the risk of being shot down, I have always found with tyres, one persons choice is not going to be suited to someone else's riding style and/or machine, it's just a case of trying different tyres to find the ones that suit both the machine and the riders ability but this is only my opinion.
                      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John h View Post
                        We got our Son a Bandit 600, lo and behold we need new tyres !! Where do you get yours from Si ? The royal bank of Dad still coughing up 25 years on !
                        My mate got them put on just before I got it off him but I'm sure he got them from the Internet & then had them fitted but it still worked out a hell of alot cheaper than buying from a high street dealers.

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                          At the risk of being shot down, I have always found with tyres, one persons choice is not going to be suited to someone else's riding style and/or machine, it's just a case of trying different tyres to find the ones that suit both the machine and the riders ability but this is only my opinion.
                          Sound like a pretty reasonable opinion to me.

Comment

I agree - there is little point comparing my ZZR1200 to a Hornet 600 for wear and ultimately one rider will be harder on tyres than another i know for a fact my bike eats rears but ZZRs always have tended to - heavy bike lots of power and torque and I do lot of two up.

Ultimately any of the main manufacturers are turning out decent tyres just look at what the manufacturers are recommending the tyre for ie touring, sports etc and what you want from it and then cost.

Sometimes bike specific forums are useful as some bikes really dont work well on some tyres so can guide you as to what to avoid.

Comment

Excellent ! Thanks Chaps

sorry for hijacking your thread Jotto..honest
                              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                              X