Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kzn185 auto to manual

Hey fellas
    the idea of converting my surf from auto to manual keeps poppin into my head ALOT lately as iv always prefered manuals and always had them until the surf
    iv done the conversion on a couple hondas before so i can do the work no problem an have all the tools id need etc

wat i want to know is wat gearbox an tranfers box setup i could use if any of you know??
    i know lc gearboxes will bolt up to the 1kzte as alot of lc's come wit that engine
    but my main problem is wat boxes could i use so that all the wirin could be made work for the speedo to read rite etc an for the 4wd gubbins in the tbox to work rite.

i know ill need a clutch an flywheel master cylinder etc an ill prob have to weld in a new gearbox mount as well...jus the wirin side of wat will fit an wat could be made work is wat i really need to know.
    im not to bothered about loosin the multi mode 4wd for road use either as long as iv 4wd to bring it offroad so shoot me some ideas an we mite figure out if it can be done handy enough

thanks
    dara

Option 1.
    Sell auto. Get money.
    Buy manual. Spend same money.
    Total hours spent = a few
    Total pounds spend = 0

Option 2.
    Convert auto to manual.
    Total hours spent = very many
    Total pounds spent = much more

On the other hand if you decide to do it, then post plenty of pics and progress reports...

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
      Option 1.
      Sell auto. Get money.
      Buy manual. Spend same money.
      Total hours spent = a few
      Total pounds spend = 0

Option 2.
      Convert auto to manual.
      Total hours spent = very many
      Total pounds spent = much more

On the other hand if you decide to do it, then post plenty of pics and progress reports...
      option 1 isnt really an option for me haha
      my surfs to clean to let sell on theres zero rust on it and mechanically its 110% an the paints clean too
      plus iv never seen a manual fird gen even for sale over here an if i bought one in the uk id still have to register it over here plus tax an nct it

so option 2 is my only option plus it'll give me an excuse to spend more time in the garage

if its do-able ill difinitly be goin ahead wit it at some stage an ill post up a full write up wit pics of the conversion
      Last edited by Dara; 12 April 2012, 15:57.

Comment

Things I can think of straight away are:

You'll need the engine/gearbox/T/case wiring harness plus ECU from a manual Surf.

Front and rear driveshafts will need to be altered or changed for manual gearbox versions.

A triple pedal box or adapt a clutch pedal somehow to your truck.

A flywheel and clutch assembly.

Master and slave cylinders will need to be fitted for the clutch.

A gearstick and it's interior trim.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Things I can think of straight away are:

You'll need the engine/gearbox/T/case wiring harness plus ECU from a manual Surf.
          surely the wirin loom could be adapted for the manual??never had to change the loom in any car i converted before jus the ecu an all worked fine wit no engine or warnin lights on

Front and rear driveshafts will need to be altered or changed for manual gearbox versions.
          im assumin you mean prop shafts need to be changed...would lc ones out of a similiar year lc wit a manual 1kzte work by any chance??

A triple pedal box or adapt a clutch pedal somehow to your truck.
          thats no problem thats only a minor detail

A flywheel and clutch assembly.
          also no problem

Master and slave cylinders will need to be fitted for the clutch.
          no problem either

A gearstick and it's interior trim.
          the gearstick would be wit the manual box an as a last resort i could always get the interior gear stick plastic of the main stealer

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
            the gearstick would be wit the manual box an as a last resort i could always get the interior gear stick plastic of the main stealer

I know the ECUs are different, so you'll either have to do some cutting and splicing or swapping harnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              I know the ECUs are different, so you'll either have to do some cutting and splicing or swapping harnesses.
              if the ecu's are different plugs wise an i had to go cuttin an splicing then an lc one from a intercooled 1kzte model should do the job...it'd be easier to get parts from an lc if they'll fit or can be made fit specailly a manual as there is loads over here for breakin and only one surf i know of an thats auto too

Comment

Working...
              X