road tax petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road tax petition

please take a minute and sign this, thanks chaps and chapesses!!

its to get free road tax once your vehicle becomes 25 years old so it would be like when the scheme first came out.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2622

Well I never knew that it was based on a car being pre 1973.
    You learn something new every day.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

yes, annoyingly a number of years back i bought a 1973 s class merc in need of very light restoration, i figured that by the time i had done this that the 25 years would have elapsed and would qualify me for free roadtax, then the poxy gvmt changed the goalposts to having to be pre 73 thus messing up all my plans for an affordable classic merc!! this petition would be trying to re enstate that law and would help loads of four by four owners with "older" vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpauto View Post
        then the poxy gvmt changed the goalposts to having to be pre 73
        No they didn't, the legislation was quite specific about the concession being for pre 1973 vehicles. You merely misunderstood, probably because of media diatribe at the time, or didn't bother to look properly.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Think your wrong there but its a moot point now,pleaseget as many people to sign up as soon as possible! Thanks, kirk.

Comment

Road tax

From wikipedia so could be wrong but...

Various classes and uses of vehicle are provided with a tax disk without charge. These include: electrically propelled vehicles, vehicles constructed before 1973, trams, vehicles which cannot convey people, police vehicles, fire engines, ambulances and health service vehicles, mine rescue vehicles, lifeboat vehicles, certain road construction and maintenance vehicles, vehicles for disabled people, certain agricultural and land maintenance vehicles, road gritters and snow ploughs, vehicles undergoing statutory tests, vehicles imported by members of foreign armed forces, and crown vehicles.[9] It should be noted that although Police vehicles are in fact crown vehicles and therefore exempt from the requirement for a tax disc, they generally display them regardless to suppress complaints from members of the public who might be stopped for failure to display a valid tax disc on their own vehicle, and thus make accusations of double-standards, no matter the lack of merit.
            Vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 are eligible for a free vehicle licence under "historic vehicle" legislation. This is due to the age of the vehicle and a presumption of limited mileage. Initially this was a rolling exemption applied to any vehicles over 25 years old, however the cutoff date was frozen in 1997. The change to "pre-1973" was unpopular in the classic motoring press, and a number of classic car clubs are campaigning for a change back to the previous system.[10] In 2006 there were 307,407 vehicles in this category:[11]

Comment

Signed!! after all it wont be long before my trucks 25 years old
              i once got classic car insurance on my 65 chrysler new yorker which was over 25 years old then, supposed to just cover you for going to meets etc, limited mileage, but the agent never even checked the odometer reading.
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Kpauto View Post
                Think your wrong there but its a moot point now,pleaseget as many people to sign up as soon as possible! Thanks, kirk.
                No, I'm not wrong.

The 1994 act, ammended in 1998, is quite specific about the pre 1973 (construction, not registration) point.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ok, whatever, wiki wrong then!

Comment

And this site, and my very specific memory!

I was passed this link this morning from flickr member Atki101 - from an advert on EBAY

I thought there might be a few of my flickr contact who would see a possible benefit in signing the petition:

Please copy/paste the link below to sign a petition to Re-introduce a 30 year rolling vehicle excise duty exemption scheme, for classic vehicles.

For too long now the tax exemption of classic cars has been frozen, to only apply to those manufactured before 1973.

History did not simply stop in 1972. These are not cars which are driven everyday but rather on sunny weekends, to attend enthusiast shows etc.. It is vitally important that we help to preserve this important part of British motoring history.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183

Idea & words stolen from "mattblackhicubeftf"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mattblackh....html?_nkw=&_a...

Comment

Working...
                    X