yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just completed a race that 4 Olympic sports people could not complete...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just completed a race that 4 Olympic sports people could not complete...

I entered this race to see if it was fitness or mind over matter....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-17649561

Fitness got me the first 100 miles my mind got me to the finish

I finished in 26 hours none stop doing 125 miles....

The boat we used was harder than the kayaks as we only have one blade...
    Me in the back with my friend Chris in the front

This is us having finished and waiting to get off the river

You sir, are an ox.
    One of the Olympians who didn't finish, Sarah Winkless, is a good friend (she was my sister's bridesmaid). She is an animal. And Redgrave is no lightweight either...!
    As someone who used to do a lot of kayaking, I have always held the guys that could finish this in high esteem. But when Winks backed out I realised that it was seriously hard-core. She is seriously fit, and has thighs roughly the size of a pit-pony...!
    Blooody good work.

Comment

Good on ya Mark n Well done .....

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hi Flounderbout

I was gutted for Sarah as we do know each other she has trained from Longridge for the last 12 or so years rowing and been around for the last 3 months training for this race (new to kayaking). Out of a lot of high level sports people who train from where I work she always had a friendly word to say and helped be part of saving the centre I work at. Sarah and her paddling partner passed me some time into the 15 mile stage of the race. We wished each other good luck and then I didn't see her again until the 35 mile stage where we passed them while they were having a short break. They soon came passed us again having a chat on the way passed us. After that we caught them up at a portage and got in front and I thought we would see them coming past again but later in the night had heard they had retired due too coldness. I think but am not sure but they may have capsized and with the temperature we had that would end anyone's race!!

It was and is a brutal race the furthest I have ever paddled prior was 34 miles

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
          Good on ya Mark n Well done .....

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
          Thanks Jess not the best way to spend a Bank Holiday weekend wrecking your body but I am on less pain killers now than I was yesterday!!

Comment

Well done ....pity you did not tell us i'd have come to see you depart
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
              Hi Flounderbout

I was gutted for Sarah as we do know each other she has trained from Longridge for the last 12 or so years rowing and been around for the last 3 months training for this race (new to kayaking). Out of a lot of high level sports people who train from where I work she always had a friendly word to say and helped be part of saving the centre I work at. Sarah and her paddling partner passed me some time into the 15 mile stage of the race. We wished each other good luck and then I didn't see her again until the 35 mile stage where we passed them while they were having a short break. They soon came passed us again having a chat on the way passed us. After that we caught them up at a portage and got in front and I thought we would see them coming past again but later in the night had heard they had retired due too coldness. I think but am not sure but they may have capsized and with the temperature we had that would end anyone's race!!

It was and is a brutal race the furthest I have ever paddled prior was 34 miles

Cheers
              Mark
              Hi Mark,
              All I know is that she had two updates on Facebook - one to say that she was about to set off, and one that she hadn't made it. Will quiz her in due course!
              You are right, she is a top bird - not one to give it all that about being an Olympian, and just generally a very grounded and fun person. That and she can neck a pint in about 4 seconds...
              Anyway you have done sterling work to make it. Were you collecting for a charity? If you have a Justgiving page or the like let me know...
              Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                only in an attempt to post a second funny comment ? it wasnt some guy in a wet suit swimming near the paddles that scuppered the ladies chances
                You seem to have hit the enter key half way through your post!

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                  Well done ....pity you did not tell us i'd have come to see you depart
                  Thanks, I wasn't sure how I would do so was keeping a low profile,

Comment

Job well done squire..

And unless there are two madcampbells...what you doing all the way down there?
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                      Job well done squire..

And unless there are two madcampbells...what you doing all the way down there?

Thanks, I'm a runaway!!

Comment

I could have quite easily done that race, with an outboard strapped to the back.

Top job mate.
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                        X