No announcement yet.

Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think we have lost track of the question here, we all know a surf is more than capable of towing another on a trailer bit it does not make it legal. regardless of the fact the the vehicle can do it.

you can by all means DO IT but it does not under any circumstances mean that it is LEGAL.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
      think we have lost track of the question here, we all know a surf is more than capable of towing another on a trailer bit it does not make it legal. regardless of the fact the the vehicle can do it.

you can by all means DO IT but it does not under any circumstances mean that it is LEGAL.

No 'we' haven't. The towing limits of a Surf are not official as it's an import. The UK 4Runner's specs are the equivalent but can only be used as a guide.

PB will be along in a minute to put us all straight.

Comment

There is NOTHING on the statute books that states a vehicle cannot tow more than it's own weight ! The only figure that matters is the one provided by the manufacturer and shown on the VIN plate for UK vehicles.

Surfs don't have the plate and thus there's a grey area however I don't know of anybody being convicted - I'd suggest that Dr Anglegrinder's explanation is likely to be acceptable to any Police Officer

PS
        Vince knows I type slowly !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I think, using Tony's reasoning, I was mistaken and it is legal.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

dont you now have to have a tow license too? or did i just make that up?

Comment

Depends on when you passed your test and what you're driving/towing

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I don't, coz I is old.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  coz I is old.
                  iz u?

Comment

I think if you passed your test before september 97 you can tow the max allowed for the vehicle, but if after that it is either 750kg or a max train weight of 3500kg and the trailer can not exceed the weight of the tow vehicle.
                    However It is all done my the max alowed weight of the trailer not actually what is on it, so even if towng an empty trailer with a max weight of 3500kg you are technicaly breaking the law.
                    how stupid is that.

Comment

Dont know about that, but you need to have a licence that entitles you to tow and those who passed their test before SEP 1997 already automatically have one. Those who passed after 1997 have to sit another wee test but I dont know if that gets you a separate tow licence or if just adds categories to your normal licence so it looks like mine
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Trailer towing

My C+E driving licence entitles me to tow a trailer weighing 44+ tons. Does that cover me for a surf on a trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          Must be a really old photo Tony, your wheels are shiny!

Never miss a chance do you...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                          X