replaceing the viscious fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaceing the viscious fan

Got it swoped over today, much better, more blow and more room also changed over from the old air filter to an inline one so it's now connected to the snorkel, (still have to replace the two and a half inch with some 3" so the safari top will fit), cobbled some pipe together for now from the turbo to the intake till i can afford some new silicon bends to refit the intercooler, adjusted the belts as well, much easier to get in there now, i linked up the water pump to work with the fan via a 70 degree cut-in thermo switch lashed to the top hose, this is all because of the restricted air flow due to the winch box and frees up some space for the winch solinoid box to go where the old filter was
    Attached Files
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Nice work!!

Have you noticed that the electric is any louder/quieter than the "whoosh" of the Viscous fan?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

HE HE HE .......
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24232
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
        Nice work!!

Have you noticed that the electric is any louder/quieter than the "whoosh" of the Viscous fan?
        it is louder than the viscious but then i didn,'t have the engine running, it's not bad tho plus it shifts a lot more air, i could feel the draft just standing by the wing with the bonnet up,

remember "that" thread well Bio, it was my inspiration!! just took me a while to get round to it

Comment

Good luck with it I put the biggest Pacet fan on mine and it still did not move as much air as the viscose fan and the temp gauge wondered off into the red more then I liked so I went back to the original.
          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Nice...will be keen to know how things go with it. I read the long long thread from long long ago..... Matt F....I wonder what happened to him??......
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

It's gonna get it's first test today as were off to my sons, about 20 mile trip mayby more, so well see, (assumeing i can get some fuel)
              that certainly was "a thread" i believe Matt sold the film rights to Sony pictures their still looking for an actor to play the leading role of """MaTTF""" but haveing trouble, they cant find a ginger winge'er miserable enough

Comment

Well an eventfull trip, the fan dosen't keep the motor anywhere near as cool as i expected, theres a slight improvement but hardly worth the bother, plus my cut in thermo switch didn't work, so i had to switch on manually, other than that the turbo hose blew off several times and we had a lovely ear splitting scream from it, sod all turbo light now and we crawled there and back at 40mph, stuck the bstd in the garage and forget it for a day, had enough of it for now,
                one thing i want to ask (i should know the answer as i've had the dam thing for seven years but off hand i cant remember) the two sensor type things that were fitted to the old air filter box, what exactly do they do?,
                just got em hanging loose at the moment till i can extend the wires to reach the other side of the bay.

Comment

Air temperature Sensor is the one in the airbox elbow. The other attached to the side is the Turbo Pressure Sensor. Connect this one first or you do not get extra fuel, when the engine is under boost. You just need to mount this somewhere other than the airbox so you don't need to add wiring or longer hose.

Nev
                  Last edited by NiftyNev; 4 April 2012, 12:17.

Comment

Cheer's Nev, both of these sensors are still connected to their wiring plugs btw, if i need to mount the turbo pressure sensor on the air induction and as all the air is now "inducted" from the other side of the engine so i would need to extend the wires for it to reach, i take it you dont mean i can just mount it anywhere!!, just so i'm clear

Comment

Was hoping things were going to go better for you...all sounds like a right pain.
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                        Was hoping things were going to go better for you...all sounds like a right pain.
                        yeah! if your viscious is working ok dont bother,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                          yeah! if your viscious is working ok dont bother,
                          I'm leaving the viscous and adding a blow fan to the front of the rad to move more air at low speeds.
                          Why not do the same seeing as you already have the fan? At least you will get some use from it...can't hurt.
                          .... Which was nice.

Comment

I seem to remember another thread the same as this - high hopes but worse then the original viscous fan.

Comment

I do have two smaller fans in front of the rad but i aggre, when i can be assed i'll prob wip those off and stick this bigger one in front, replace the vicious, as it is i guess if i made a shroud to cover the rad fins and fit the fan to it it'd draw a bit better but sod it,

Comment

Working...
                              X