No announcement yet.

Panic buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll do a quick check of the garages round me after work see what's going on. I've got half a tank left in the truck but need to drive to Gatwick next week.

If it's quiet I think I'll fill her up.

Comment

I think this means everyone needs to go out and fill up your tanks, your wifes tanks, your kids tanks and any fuel container you can find. And QUICK! before it's all gone!
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It's probably Cameron causing it on purpose, needing a nice fat cash injection for the government coffers.

Comment

I remember this from 2001:

A taxi driver has been told he could face jail for dangerously hoarding petrol at his home during last year's fuel crisis. Saqib Bashir, 28, of Derby, had already pleaded guilty to keeping the petrol at a house he was renovating when it leaked from containers, forcing the evacuation of hundreds of residents.
          At Derby Magistrates court last month, Mr Bashir admitted four charges relating to the unlawful storage of petrol and one of failing in his duty of care under health and safety laws.
          Richard Thatcher, prosecuting on behalf of Derby City Council's trading standards department, told the court on Wednesday that Mr Bashir faced a maximum two years imprisonment.
          He also faces an unlimited fine for keeping petrol without a licence.
          The father-of-three was due to be sentenced at Derby Crown Court on Wednesday but Judge John Wait allowed the matter to be adjourned until 4 April for a report to be prepared.

'Gross stupidity'

The judge told Mr Bashir: "You have been committed to this court for a series of serious offences.
          "I am bound to consider a custodial sentence."
          David Leathley, defending Mr Bashir, said his client had been badly affected by the court proceedings and had been "submitted to hospital for three days as he was suffering from depression".

In what magistrates described as an "act of gross stupidity", he stored the petrol in three containers at a house he was renovating in Porter Road in the city.
          But fuel melted the bottom of a plastic dustbin and leaked into the house last September, causing dozens of homes to be evacuated for fear of an explosion.
          At last month's magistrate hearing, the court was told that Mr Bashir, from the Normanton area of Derby, hoarded the petrol to "ensure a continuity of supply" in order to safeguard his livelihood.
          Derby City Council estimate the cost of the operation and the resulting clean-up could cost more than £130,000.
          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

He kept topping up a wheelie bin, and apparenty, because it leaked into the foundations and water table, they ended up demolishing the property and billing him.

I am keeping mine in goldfish bags...
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I'm just filling the bath

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Just filled up the van, surf, motorhome & bike, £315.
                I'm taking no chances.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I panic bought 20 john player special!
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I read this thread then headed off to sainsburys to fill up the tank, massive que hardly any fuel left. so in a panic i headed into to supermarket to panic buy a 24 pack of stella forget fuel. panic buy beer

Comment

Filled up the Corsa today, but it won't last long. Travel 140 miles everyday for work so no fuel means no work and no work means no money. Planning to buy a diesel car soon so i can start on the Veg oil.
                      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                        Just filled up the van, surf, motorhome & bike, £315.
                        I'm taking no chances.

They're knocking 50p off a litre next week!

Comment

Derv in Chelsea tonight has shot up to 163. Per ltr. In Croydon it's gone up 4 ppl in one day. Profiteering a holes
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

No panic buying round here, I was only one at Kebab van.

Didn't know anything about this? Filled the Scooby up this afternoon, no noticable queues, same price (ie, extortionate!), but no hassle.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              They're knocking 50p off a litre next week!
                              That would be just my luck.

I only filled the van up as it was nearly empty, not put any fuel in the surf for nearly a month now as it never gets driven.

I do hope there is enough fuel next week cos I really do need to fill up the motorhome as we are going away for the bank holiday.
                              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

'Twas all quiet round Gosport this afternoon, this evening there were a few queues for petrol it didn't look too manic though.

Comment

Working...
                                X