Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0L cambelt change

Hey

Does anybody have any info/how to, on replacing the cambelt on a KZN130?
    Tried the search function but am getting no joy.
    I have a US, CD Rom (4Runner) based manual which seems fine for everything except engine info, and it's a job I'd like to have a go at before it's too late

Cheers
    S.

The "similar threads" section at the bottom of this page would be a good place to start

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PM0077 View Post
      The "similar threads" section at the bottom of this page would be a good place to start

Paul
      Similar Threads
      Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
      3rd gen cambelt change "How to" with pic's. si tate Technical - Mechanical - General 24 11th December 2011 20:29
      Need some info on cambelt change Truckbitz.co.uk 3.0 Turbo Diesel 6 17th May 2006 22:39
      Cambelt Change smadamij 2.4 & 2.8 3 10th May 2006 15:51
      Is a cambelt change needed? DuncanHine 3.0 Turbo Diesel 4 17th August 2004 20:28
      Cambelt change - Recommend Garage in CHESHIRE Driver General 3 8th February 2004 21:45

Well blow me down...look what was at the bottom of the page.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        Similar Threads
        Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
        3rd gen cambelt change "How to" with pic's. si tate Technical - Mechanical - General 24 11th December 2011 20:29
        Need some info on cambelt change Truckbitz.co.uk 3.0 Turbo Diesel 6 17th May 2006 22:39
        Cambelt Change smadamij 2.4 & 2.8 3 10th May 2006 15:51
        Is a cambelt change needed? DuncanHine 3.0 Turbo Diesel 4 17th August 2004 20:28
        Cambelt change - Recommend Garage in CHESHIRE Driver General 3 8th February 2004 21:45

Well blow me down...look what was at the bottom of the page.
        No way, that's spooky

Comment

Originally posted by PM0077 View Post

Paul
          You know I've never noticed that before, nice tip!
          '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

ok, ok, ok - I've never noticed that either
            Never done a cambelt change before but from what TonyN says it sounds pretty straight forward. If I do go ahead and try it myself, I'll do a how to with pics to help out future attempters

Thanks for the guidance guy's

S.

Comment

Cheers Thrifty - thanks or the advice

S.

Comment

Just one major thing after fitting the belt, BEFORE turning the key turn the engine over by HAND, If anything has moved this is when you find out, without doing any damage. Once you have turned the engine by hand, you then want to make sure all the timing marks are aligned once your happy all is well start the engine and check over it all for any problems.
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                  Just one major thing after fitting the belt, BEFORE turning the key turn the engine over by HAND, If anything has moved this is when you find out, without doing any damage. Once you have turned the engine by hand, you then want to make sure all the timing marks are aligned once your happy all is well start the engine and check over it all for any problems.
                  That sounds like a sensible tip mate, I'll take that on board - cheers!

Was looking at RTX, and the genuine belt is twice as much as the aftermarket. Does anybody have an opinion on whether it's worth getting the genuine or aftermarket?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by scottiedog View Post
                    That sounds like a sensible tip mate, I'll take that on board - cheers!

Was looking at RTX, and the genuine belt is twice as much as the aftermarket. Does anybody have an opinion on whether it's worth getting the genuine or aftermarket?

Cheers
                    Well i do have the genuine one fitted to my own truck, it's been fine upto now (only changed in September tho') as long as it a recognized brand you should be ok i would stick with Dayco, Gates or Goodyear gator grip belts or genuine Toyota. This is my own preference so the choice is in your hands!!!

Comment

I'll have to contact RTX to find out what brand it is (does anybody already know?). I would usually go straight for the genuine one, but seeing as the truck only covers about 3k a year, and not knowing if it's gonna need a new tensioner and roller, am trying to keep the cost down a bit.

Comment

Simple answer is do want to risk having to replace the head if the aftermarket belt snaps ? at the end of the day its your pocket and decision we can only advise.

Comment

Are you prepared to risk wrecking your engine for the sake of a few quid ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                            Simple answer is do want to risk having to replace the head if the aftermarket belt snaps ? at the end of the day its your pocket and decision we can only advise.
                            As Growler has said, The Timing Belt is crucial! Scrimp here and it could lead to a big bill or another surf with head problems for sale! It's better to spend a little more on quality and know the belt is doing the job properly and will do so until the next belt change.

Comment

Yeah, I know your right. Your replies are all appreciated and understood - Genuine it is then

Cheers
                              S.

Comment

Working...
                              X