1991 Surf 2.4TD SSR Limited - Reg. WIW5131

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Surf 2.4TD SSR Limited - Reg. WIW5131

I bought myself my Surf in December for my 18th Birthday and Im putting her back to factory. I have had no problems with her to date, apart from a split coolant pipe which lead to overheating the engine but all was fine after I replaced that, My speedometer doesnt seem to work, it just wobbles about 20kph when im doing 30mph+ the kilometer counter works fine though. Also I seem to be getting awful gas mileage, as in a full tank lasts me about 150 miles if im lucky!! I have just ordered myself the Red ashtray straight from Toyota in Japan and a new drivers window regulator and some red clips as my interior is Bloodbath red and Im now trying desperately to find the original radio and maybe the cd section aswell (I know the Limited only came with a Radio standard) but Toyotas quoted me over £2000 for them both!!! I would also appreciate any advice on where to get a stereo and some red toyota carpet mats for front and rear, this would be greatly appreciated! Im glad I found this forum as it gives me a chance to talk to other surf fanatics Thanks for taking time to read this, Jordan Emonds

Original Radio

Jordan,how do and welcome to the twilight zone.With referance to your radio,I have the original Clarion unit that came with my truck.It has a graffic equalizer,cd,tape and twinkly lights you just wont believe.I am told you can even change the background lighting to suit the colour of your truck(dont quote me on that one)Its a double din fitment and to be honest looks like a Wurlitzer organ when it is fired up.
    It has been sitting on a shelf in a bedroom for ages,it is in perfect working order but I do not have the instruction manual for it,

FREE to a good home,if you want to see what it looks like check out my thread of 14th August last year,I had no takers then,but if you can use it then fine,let me know,Regards,Alan

Comment

welcome, any pics of it? is it a 2 door?
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Hi !

Returning an imported vehicle to factory spec will mean having a Jap spec radio which won't be much use over here ...

In addition identifying the original spec for a Surf will be a challenge in itself - they tend to work in a totally different way over there

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Well come along.

You know the orginal stereo dosn't work very well over here as the bandwidth range is different?

I've thrown all my old ones away! There's very little point in having them.

You should be getting better miles than that, I'd suspect someone may have messed up all the vacumm hoses or it needs injectors or something, unless you are driving it quickly (for a 2.4 ) then you're doing fine.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Welcome.
            And yes your fuel useage sounds aweful. Iv got a 2.4 jacked up running 10psi on 33" kumhos and I can get 240miles from a full tank !
            PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Hi there! Thanks for the welcome everyone, sorry about late reply, every time I tried to reply it said I was a limited member and didnt have the priveledge Alan thats great! I would love to see some pictures of it, thats made my day! I have some sort of Sony in it atm which I fitted 2 speakers in the rear behind the plastic covers (mission of a job) and upgraded ones in the dash so I hope ill have good sound. As for the original radio, I have a junction box in behind the dash that says something like "Japanise to UK frequency changer" or something similar, connected to my aerial poing on the back of the stereo so will this make the original radio work better? Its a 4 door model, I prefer the 4 door to the 2 personally, but it would be cool to have something so rare! Ive ordered some bits straight from Toyotas in Japan like a red ashtray for the front and some red door clips, but im still awaiting them.. its currently out of MOT so sitting at work getting dusty until next week, I make sure shes started every day though. I will try and put up a few pictures if this site will let me, im actually suprised its let me reply now to be honest. Many thanks Jordan Emonds.

Comment

Re: Im going to replace the Glow plugs as its a job to start when cold and fills my street with black smoke, I also noticed its not got the original fuel filter/housing, its been replaced somewhere in its 21 year life. It is also leaking diesel aswell, not a constant drip, literally one drip every half hour or so, so it cant be the reason for my terrible gas mileage

Comment

Heres a few Pics ive taken since ive own'd her, I found out they're huge fun in the snow
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks nice, although a little low at the rear known as Soggy ass Syndrome.

Make sure you well serviced the cooling system, reoil viscous fan, new thermostat, mod the temp gauge etc.

Comment

Im ordering some rear springs for it and in time will hopefully get the eletronic rear struts too so I can have hard/soft suspension I have carried out a full service apart from the fuel filter as its an aftermarket fuel filter/housing so im going to source an original. When you say mod the temp guage, would this be why it reaches to the middle after only a few minutes and then stays there, even when the engine is overheating? because although my engine was overheating, the guage read normal :S as for the coling system, I have a new thermo waiting to be fitted, im going to flush the heater pipes as heater is weak at best and when i accelarate hard I can hear water bubbling in the pipes behind the dash haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X