Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension question

Hello all,

Another question I'm hoping someone can answer for me..
    I've got a 3.0td ssrv kzn130 which I think the suspension is slightly low at the back end and as I carry a fair few tools etc from time to time its looks pretty low so was wondering if its likely to be springs or shocks at fault....?
    Also if I was to up rate the rear springs to 2" lift ones do I need to change the shocks as well and is this possible to do without doing the front or would have to do all round as it would send it all to shit...
    Sorry if this has been asked many times before..
    Cheers
    Swifty
    Cool Beans

You could replace with uprated springs then there'd be no need to do anything to the shocks, i have heard that even with the +2" springs it dosen't actually lift the back by 2" however if you fit either 2" spacers or landcruiser springs then you will need to fit longer shocks, with up rated ones you dont need to do owt on the front, you'll prob find it sits pretty level
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me popeye.
      Let me get this right I can fit the +2" uprated springs without changing the shocks...?

This is the first surf I've owned so not 100% on how the feel but I'm pretty sure its down a bit at the back. Living in the channel islands I don't get chance to get upto much speed but I'm bringing it across to the uk in July so don't fancy loading it up and find its all over the place and scaring the crap out of me around 60...
      I'm running it on bf Goodrich AT 31 10.5 r15 tyres sat at 29psi. All round
      Last edited by theswifty; 15 March 2012, 21:01.
      Cool Beans

Comment

Originally posted by theswifty View Post
        I'm running it on bf Goodrich AT 31 10.5 r15 tyres sat at 29psi. All round
        Id you are carrying a lot in the back ild suggest a little more pressure than 29psi, I run 35psi. Its a personal choice really everyone is different but I find anything lower than 30 way to soft (unless 4wding then im running 20psi)

As for shocks, ive lifted my suspension 2 inches (body 2 as well) and never changed the shocks, they seem to cope fine, just be aware that if they are the originals they are probbly getting pretty worn anyway resulting in quite a bit of body roll around big corners. (mine are knackered and feels like im driving a whale at the moment)

You will be well surprised by how much better ride you have with new springs in the rear anyway so ild say go for it mate, you will never look back
        Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Same here! i have LC springs which lift the back 3" plus a 2" body lift and still have the old shocks on, unless you do off road they will work but will "top-out" on speed bumps etc (loud bang) i really should get some +4" shocks, got +2's on the front but never got round to doing the back
          swifty!! if you just want the back to "sit up" a bit better than it is now you can just get either uprated standard springs or +2" replacement ones, just doing either of these means you wont need to worry about replaceing the shocks or altering the bar or brake lines etc, changeing them out is fairly easy, just make sure you have plenty of support to stop the truck comeing down on ya, jack the chassis up so you have loads of room under the tyre, remove the wheels, and with someone levering the axle down till the old springs can be removed, then the other side, prob wont even need compressors, btw undo one end of the bar and the bottom shocks mounts before you start,

Comment

Cheers for all that lads I think ill be ordering a set..
            Once again tip top info
            Cool Beans

Comment

Hello All.
              Sorry to jump on the back of this question, but I've just logged on to the forum for the first time in ages looking to find the answer to a very similar question.
              I have arse end sag, not to bad but it just looks wrong and annoys me, though she still drives and handles well, even at speed..
              What I'm after is a very slight lift, mainly for cosmetic reasons but hoping to maybe squeeze 32" BF Goodrichs under the arch's, if not 31"..
              I don't do any heavy off roading just light green laning..
              The question is very similar to swiftys.. Can I get away with fitting +2" Roughtrax uprated rear springs to sort out the sag and lift the arse slightly and then crank up the front torsion bars by 1" without changing the shocks or doing ang other work. ie. jobs such as adjusting the rear braking bias thingy, lengthening the hoses and fitting ball joint spaces etc..
              Money is tight at the moment, however I still don't want to mess up the surfs geometry in any way..
              Any response would be greatly received.
              Regards Chris
              PS. Forgot to mention mine is also a 3ltr SSRX (94)
              Last edited by cdfw; 29 April 2012, 17:23.

Comment

To fit 32" tyres you will need a 1" body lift or you could find the tyres fouling the arches. 31's are fitted as standard on some trucks.
                I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Sorry to be thick but are you saying a 1" body lift as well as the 1" suspension lift I was talking about?
                  Also, if I just go for the 31" tyres, your reply didn't give a reply to my main question about needing/not needing other mods, if you follow my drift..

Comment

I think he means as well as a sus lift, when i fitted 32's i did a 2" body lift and even then it was tight on the front, rears are not such a prob as the wheels dont have to "steer"
                    with 31's you'd just need to crank up the torsion bars a bit, and +2" springs on the back should give the "look" and plenty of clearance without buggering about with replaceing the shocks etc, you'll prob find the +2's wont actually give you a full 2" lift but it will be better than stock springs, prob about a 1-1 1/2" lift

Comment

Cheers Popeye.. Your answer says it all really..
                      I'll go for 31"s and take off the side steps..
                      Regards Chris.

Comment

You'll be surprised how much visual lift ya get by just removeing the steps,

Comment

Originally posted by theswifty View Post
                          Hello all,

Another question I'm hoping someone can answer for me..
                          I've got a 3.0td ssrv kzn130 which I think the suspension is slightly low at the back end and as I carry a fair few tools etc from time to time its looks pretty low so was wondering if its likely to be springs or shocks at fault....?
                          Also if I was to up rate the rear springs to 2" lift ones do I need to change the shocks as well and is this possible to do without doing the front or would have to do all round as it would send it all to shit...
                          Sorry if this has been asked many times before..
                          Cheers
                          Swifty
                          Hi mine was the same im a builder so carry loads of tools. i changed my rear springs and shocks as i do alot of towing as well. used 2 iinch lift monroe shocks and 2 inch springs from roughtrax just on rear.can carry lots of gear no sag. hook up 2 ton of horse and trailer and it hardly lowers it and is more stable on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
                            hook up 2 ton of horse and trailer
                            Are you a Cowboy builder?????

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
                              Are you a Cowboy builder?????
                              Nice work!

I am running a 2" body lift and 4" suspension lift (+2" ball joint spacers & wound up torsion bars at the front and +2" springs & +2" coil spacers at the rear) but I am running original shocks.

I get 1.25" down travel on the rear before the shocks top out and about the same at the front before the bump stops hit (I think).

It sucks over speed bumps and off road currently but for standard road driving it's fine.

I am going to space my shocks so I can still use the hard/soft option but I haven't quite got to that yet and besides which the brake hoses will need to be changed (or the originals moved which is probably easier looking at the mounts) so I don't rip the brake hoses out if I lengthen the shocks.
                              I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Working...
                              X