What else can it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else can it be?

Changed rack & bushes, changed drop links, changed rack ends & track rod ends no play evident from wheel bearings but, I still have a clunk somewhere on the front end that can be felt through the steering when going over bumpy ground. By bumpy ground I mean a slightly uneven hardcore farm track up to my house or cold damaged Aberdeenshire roads.
    Checked ball joints and they appear fine that leaves only shock mounts, wishbone bushes and upper arm bushes in my mind unless there is something else I am missing. Whats the best way to check these three components?

Cheers

Ben

Have you looked at the ARB and the bump stops? finding the source of a noise/bump is bl00dy flustrating i know, good luck with it
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

ARB bushes also fine, what symptoms would I get from either ball joints (although the look good) or arm bushes?

Many thanks

Ben

Comment

Ya need to jack the front off the ground and then have a go at pushing the wheels top and bottom, it aint easy as their fecking heavy, mayby employ a stout pry bar and get someone to do that while you look, or take it to a garage you know and trust, and even then let them show you the fault, it's very hard to pinpoint summat like that, the dam noise only occurs when your driveing, worn ball joints useually creat a racket or bumps when cornering etc, or as you say over uneven ground, same with the controll arms,
        if their bad they'll show up with a good tugging with the front up in the air,
        process of elimation i'm afraid, and make sure you have good chocks under there when your under it with it jacked up,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi Ben

I also got a clunk felt in steering on my landcrusier colorado, which has same steering as a 3rd gen surf.
          I traced it to the steering rack, on the drivers side

there is a preload adjuster on the rack, a large hex plug and lock ring on back of the rack, below where the steering wheel shaft joins the rack.
          i nipped the pre-load up very slightly and this cured the clunk

ah - just re-read your posts, you say you have already changed the rack...

check that no part of exhaust system is hitting the chassis/body
          the wishbone bushes
          shock mounts
          battery secure
          engine mounts
          Last edited by andycook; 6 March 2012, 16:36.
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Cheers all,

Did the rack end guide first off after seeing it on a US forum, did not sort it. Replaced rack and steering now better but still there is a clunk and it wanders occasionally.

Just passed MOT a month or so ago even with bad rack and apparently all ball joints are fine but, seeing as they also passed the rack I'm not convinced. Truck has 198,000 KM on it so I am just going to replace the balljoints, upper arm bushes and shocks & springs come end of the month. Hopefully it will be sorted after that!

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Have you checked the pinch bolts on the steering column splined shaft?

Comment

Yup I've checked everything loosenable!!

Searched for balljoint change here and found Yoshies superb SBS for uppers and the pic he has of the old one sort of makes me think I should just do 'em, if doing them I may as well do the others & shocks at same time.

Comment

did you get the rack-end guide from a Toyota dealer in UK?
                  do you happen to have the part no and price?
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook View Post
                    did you get the rack-end guide from a Toyota dealer in UK?
                    do you happen to have the part no and price?
                    Hi Andy,

I did got it from Struans Toyota in Dundee, it had to be ordered but they supplied fine. Got the numbers at home, will post later on.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Hi Andy,

Depending upon the age of your truck you may or may not need to get all of the bits below.

45504-3501 rack sub assembly
                      On earlier trucks this is a roller bearing but was replaced (97 I think) with a machined pad with PTFE contact. The roller bearing in the sub assembly wears and allows shaft inside rack to move up & down in rack housing, problem sorted by this change but it is not listed as a revision for older trucks. i.e order the part numbers and don't give reg of the truck or you will get the old roller assembly rather than the newer pad.

The newer racks have an allen key head rather than a big bolt head on drivers side of rack. If you have one of the newer racks then you only need to replace the above part, if one of the old roller type racks then you need the rest of the bits below too. The old bits from the roller bearing racks do not fit with the pad assembly.

90501-26074 Spring
                      45524-37010 cap
                      90179-48003 lock nut

Can't remember exact cost but was about £80 I think and I should have some drawing of the rack somewhere if you need them.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben
                        I have the newer type with a huge allen bolt head (I used a towbar bolt+nuts to adjust it as they fit perfectly in lieu of a large allen key)

Thus i just need: 45504-3501 rack sub assembly

I guess the PTFE pad has worn on the assembly on my vehicle. it only happened after a suspesnion lift...
                        i have nipped it up a couple times, but clonk and play comes back after a while.

cheers for part no's
                        andy
                        Landcruiser Colorado
                        Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook View Post
                          Thanks Ben
                          I have the newer type with a huge allen bolt head (I used a towbar bolt+nuts to adjust it as they fit perfectly in lieu of a large allen key)

Thus i just need: 45504-3501 rack sub assembly

I guess the PTFE pad has worn on the assembly on my vehicle. it only happened after a suspesnion lift...
                          i have nipped it up a couple times, but clonk and play comes back after a while.

cheers for part no's
                          andy
                          Yup, should be all you need. I think the correct setting is 18ft/lb then back off 21 degrees. I tightened mine until sterring did not want to return and then backed off until it felt right.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

forgot i had a toyodiy account

check part nos there:
                            the newer part no must be: 45504‑35031

45504 END SUB-ASSY, STEERING RACK, NO.2
                            45504‑35010 (04/1996 - 05/1999) 1 € 88.07
                            45504‑35031 (08/2000 - 08/2002) 1 € 62.10
                            45523A SPRING(FOR STEERING GEAR RACK GUIDE)
                            90501‑26063 (04/1996 - 05/1999) 1 € 2.89
                            90501‑26074 (08/2000 - 08/2002) 1 € 2.44
                            45524 CAP, STEERING RACK GUIDE SPRING
                            45524‑35010 (04/1996 - 05/1999) 1 € 20.54
                            45524‑37010 (08/2000 - 08/2002) 1 € 22.31
                            45524A NUT(FOR STEERING RACK GUIDE SPRING CAP)
                            90179‑48003
                            Landcruiser Colorado
                            Sub. Forester

Comment

I had a similar problem.
                              It was tracked down to the engine mounts.

Every time I went over a bump the whole engine would bounce and move the suspension/steering.
                              New engine mounts fitted and the problem went away.

Comment

Working...
                              X