Over Painted Chrome Wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Painted Chrome Wheels.

After purchasing my Surf with over painted chrome wheels as ive recently found out, i thought id have a little scratch around them and repaint ect. One thing ive learnt is that you will never be able to get back chromes, well not looking good anyway.
    Remember theve been painted for a reason and although one might look great, somewhere one will be awfull and will cost a fortune to repair ect.
    Anyway ive manage to come up with something, if your over painted wheels have lost paint due to the chrome area not being previously sanded properly and you wish to sort the problem once a for all.
    Lightly rub your painted chrome wheels with fine emery paper then wipe a few times with thinner.
    Leave for a couple of hours and the paint that sits ontop of any areas that havent been sanded properly show up like a sore thum. (chrome areas bubbles), thus all it takes is a heavy sanding for those areas. Undercoat's and a couple or three top coats to creat a long lasting over painted chrome wheel.
    Dont be shy and scratch the wheel rim befor you buy lol
    Thought id just put this out because when your buying a surf, alot of wheels were originaly chrome so most folk selling them re-spray without proper under work.
    Last edited by Ste; 4 March 2012, 18:40.
    Life is a adventure, make it count 4x4 style

Originally posted by Ste View Post
    After purchasing my Surf with over painted chrome wheels as ive recently found out, i thought id have a little scratch around them and repaint ect. One thing ive learnt is that you will never be able to get back chromes, well not looking good anyway.
    Remember theve been painted for a reason and although one might look great, somewhere one will be awfull and will cost a fortune to repair ect.
    Anyway ive manage to come up with something, if your over painted wheels have lost paint due to the chrome area not being previously sanded properly and you wish to sort the problem once a for all.
    Lightly rub your painted chrome wheels with fine emery paper then wipe a few times with thinner.
    Leave for a couple of hours and the paint that sits ontop of any areas that havent been sanded properly show up like a sore thum. (chrome areas bubbles), thus all it takes is a heavy sanding for those areas. Undercoat's and a couple or three top coats to creat a long lasting over painted chrome wheel.
    Thought id just put this out because when your buying a surf, alot of wheels were originaly chrome so most folk selling them re-spray without proper under work.
    Chrome?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Got any pictures ? before, during and after

Comment

Re-paint

Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
        Got any pictures ? before, during and after
        Yep ill post before and after in the morning, i was taken a back to get those results and proceeded to do all my wheels the same way.
        After re-sanding and re-coating i took of the paint on a already done area and found it very hard to clean the area again, i had to use my drill sander to remove the paint as the same method wouldnt work again. Problem solved for me but after this these wheels are my winters only.
        Ive photos of before but not during but with hindsight i would have takeb during but ive the after affect and i can say the paint is solid.
        BUT after taking a look ive one small area to re-do ill photo the effect on unsanded chrome.
        Last edited by Ste; 4 March 2012, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Chrome?
          Something plated with a chromium alloy. yes

Comment

[QUOTE=Balllsy;757320]Got any pictures ? before, during and after [/QUOT
            Ill gladly post photo's when ive figured out how to make it work, my PC does some funny things. Me thinks its having a amotional problems.
            Being new to adding photo's, maybe im just too stupid which is more likely.
            Any photos i have are in my pictures and when i try to post onto the post it ask me for the URL which i wont have because its in my own photos.
            Yep i know im dim, just never done it before
            Last edited by Ste; 5 March 2012, 15:32.

Comment

You need to upload your pics to somewhere like photobucket fella, then get the 'IMG' code from photobucket and add it to your post.

Welcome aboard by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post

If youre going to refurb chrome plated steel wheels, the best, and most permanent way, is to have them sand blasted, and then powder coated........
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                  If youre going to refurb chrome plated steel wheels, the best, and most permanent way, is to have them sand blasted, and then powder coated........
                  Yep i totaly understand that and agree but these are my winter rims so not that bothered but played a little to see what i could do with them.
                  Posted this to help any others that are stuck with ex chromes ect. Easy fix and good looking without paint loss for a while
                  Im running these rims for a while untill ive finished my cosmetic upgrades and i will post if paint peels ect but im sure the way ive done these, they will be cool for a while. ill let you know.
                  Main thing is, make sure your old chromes are scored properly, iff not back track on this post.
                  Oh id like to add blasting chrome wheels isnt a viable option, too much structural steel lost or else all would be at it.
                  Last edited by Ste; 5 March 2012, 20:29.

Comment

http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC01205.jpg

Worked really well.
                    Last edited by Ste; 20 March 2012, 18:25.

Comment

Ste, you keep mentioning chrome wheels and you have a '92 Surf. Are you sure they're not alloy wheels?
                      Got any photos or any links to what yours look like?

Comment

Looks like a very good result Ste !

Comment

well done - not a bad finish for hand rubbing.

steel rims chromed or otherwise can be sandblasted and painted or powdercoated.

perfectly good way to re-finish rusty crap - we do thousands of them here every year

Comment

Yep very sure they are chrome. i should have photo'd them before but i set about sanding and undercoates before i joined this forum. Just posted results because of a thread i read about over painting chrome.
                            Just thought it may help.
                            oh and the wheels arnt the original ones lol.

Comment

Looks good.

If you use the IMG code

[I M G]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh587/ste127/DSC01205.jpg[/I M G] <-- Without the spaces

You get this

Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X