10W/40 Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10W/40 Engine Oil

Costco have 20 litres of Chevron at £42 - about half the price of their Castrol Magnatec. They are both 10W/40. Is the Chevron stuff crap or is there really no good reason to shell out the extra money?

When I put cheaper oil in, I tend to change it more often.
    So I suppose that outweighs any saving.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I've used it without any problems but I tend to change the oil every 3k miles

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post

Exactly as I do!

I've just bought 7 ltrs of supermarket own brand,which I will use to "flush" the system for a few hundred miles,and then fill up with some good stuff.
        What ever oil I buy I always make sure it's suitable for turbo diesel engines,but I could just be wasting my money??

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post

Do you feel you have to change it more often for a real reason, e.g. the engine runs rough noticeably quicker than with more expensive oil, or do you simply change it more often because you feel you should since it was cheaper?

On the one hand I don't want to be a sucker and spend extra for no good reason other than to pay the marketing costs for premium brand oil, on the other hand it only amounts to about £12 per service extra and I don't want to make a false economy on something so important (if it is indeed a false economy).

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
            Exactly as I do!

I've just bought 7 ltrs of supermarket own brand,which I will use to "flush" the system for a few hundred miles,and then fill up with some good stuff.
            What ever oil I buy I always make sure it's suitable for turbo diesel engines,but I could just be wasting my money??

Regards

Mark
            I like the idea of running with the cheaper stuff for a shorter period to help flush the system. Maybe I'll give this a try.

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
              Do you feel you have to change it more often for a real reason, e.g. the engine runs rough noticeably quicker than with more expensive oil, or do you simply change it more often because you feel you should since it was cheaper?
              Purely because I feel I should because it's cheaper.

Comment

Why would you think Chevron is inferior to Castrol? They are a large corporation est 1879.
                Chevron is known around the world through its three brands: Chevron®, Texaco® and Caltex™

Check the specs on the bottle - if it meets the same specs as the Castrol then it's the same spec....and anyway, pretty well all semi-synthetic oils are much higher spec now than was spec'ed by Toyota 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by spacast View Post

Check the specs on the bottle - if it meets the same specs as the Castrol then it's the same spec....and anyway, pretty well all semi-synthetic oils are much higher spec now than was spec'ed by Toyota 20 years ago.
                  Check these specs.

Comment

I use the Chevron stuff, change it every 5,000 kilometres and use genuine Toyota filters.

Changing it less often in an old oil burner, irrespective of what oil you use, is asking for trouble...
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I use the Costco Chevron oil and change it twice a year which is roughly about every 4000miles , same as Id do if I was using any other brand. I dont want to say oil is oil because its never that simple but they are all made to meet standards, anything else is the magic additive which creates "liquid engineering" as Castrol used to say.Im happy to drag 20litres of Chevron motor oil home from Straiton for use in my truck, secure in the knowledge that its doing everything I want of a lubricant.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Mine just squirts it out the rocker cover, so I have pretty much new oil in the engine all the time....
                        Must find some time to sort it - the driveway is now becoming quite an environmental health hazard...
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Changed the oil and filter on my truck today,and as I was clearing up the empty cans I noticed I'd bought 5 liters of diesel oil and 2 liters of petrol oil.
                          Well,by this time it was too late it was in the engine so I compared the specs,and both give- API SL/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4. I then compared these specs to a half can of Elf Prestigrade turbo diesel oil and, yep,you guessed it exactly the same specs.
                          I since found out API = American Petroleum Industry & ACEA = L'Association des constructeurs européens d’automobiles.

So' are we being shafted here,IE different packaging,with oil all to the same specification????

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X