Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience of these?

Winches!!http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1506808242...84.m1423.l2649
    looks ok to me but perhaps you know better?
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

We'll I had one for Crimbo (if that counts) not tried n tested it yet tho Ian (can't move it never mind lift it) i'll leave it to the professionals

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
    Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 10 February 2012, 21:59.
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

I have one (different name but same Chinese product)

It's speed was quite slow compared to say a Warn winch.

It's still on the front of my Jeep but no longer works, I think the solenoids are wet and rusty.

It done me OK for a couple of years Though. The wireless remote was handy too. (until I lost it)

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I've had two 'cheap' winches now, both only lasted a year, if it doesn't break or wear out due to rubbish materials, they rust up from not using them, you can't win!

My old 4500lb ikkle Superwinch winch I got used at a car boot sale about 10 years ago sits on my trailer 365 days a year come rain or shine, rarely get used and has never let me down.

I'll saving up for a Warn or Superwinch for next one.

Really getting fed up of cheap crap from China recently TBH. Lots of stuff I've bought over the last few years is giving up and is unrepairable, all the really old stuff I've got used from ebay or got from my Dad is still working fine, and is rebuildable when it does wear out.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK guys, thanks, points taken, i didn't realise this one was a tiddley one, the small one i have is also a chinese and thats pretty cr@p, seems every soddin thing nowadays is chinese made, and as said either dont last and unrepaiable, i'll keep looking, thanks, ian

Comment

Think way back to the days when Japan was just starting up - everything was crap to start with but slowly improved. The same will happen with Chinese products - they'll improve to the point that they dominate the market and prices start rising then (eventually) there'll be another rising economy that knocks them off the top spot ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Pre 90's things were designed to last or be repaired/rebuildable, then manufactures cottened on to the fact that if the product is designed to last only a certain amount of time, then it will fail and you will spend a whole load of money buying another item which equals more sales and more profit as well as the bigger profit at the sale of original item as it was cheaply made in the first place.
              I almost always now buy old skool gear, as its repairable,simple and designed to outlast your use for it meaning resellable!

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507518599...84.m1423.l2649

Am i right in thinking this is a non electric winch and is driven off the engine?
                if so i take it this is only for use with land rovers and wont do me!

juast had a look at Warn and superwinch (new) jeez !! well out of my range, ya could buy a decent car for what they cost, but i know you get what you pay for (in most cases)

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  juast had a look at Warn and superwinch (new) jeez !! well out of my range, ya could buy a decent car for what they cost, but i know you get what you pay for (in most cases)
                  Well I did say "save up for" Which is why the cheap stuff is so tempting. If its kept dry and not used hard you'll probably get decent use out of an average winch. I bought the cheapo's in the past cos a cheap one was better than no winch. But I hate not being able to rely on it after it got used a bit.

Yeah, thats a PTO winch, you don't any mechanical power take off options on the Surf.

Comment

Thanks Tony, thought that PTO winch would be no use,
                    yeah i know what you mean, cant really justify or afford a Warn or super and as you say provided i dont work it hard and take a little care in waterproofing etc, i think i will have to go for the cheapo (if near £300 is cheap) it'll be used for the step and as ya know i dont do "dirty", before i go agead and buy tho i want to get in touch with my sons mate who got his winch from a land rover place near Liss, i know it's electric but cant remember the make and i'm sure he paid around 300 for it (new) i helped them fit it and it was a biggun! dont think he's had any problems with it and he does do off road, plus they can prob get a discount for me as their trade, i know simon got a fair bit knocked off stuff from there (as the pair of em run a business and have spent loads of money with the guy there,
                    worth a chat dont ya think?
                    thanks again for the advise mate,
                    Last edited by POPEYE; 11 February 2012, 16:28.

Comment

Yeah, good plan. Do you need anything that big as the one you posted, I 'only' have a 12,000lb on my truck?

I used to use my 4500lb Superwinch on the pickup till got the bigger ones and it coped, and is only one of these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superwinch...item3371bc7037

or even one of these any good for you?..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-LBS-1...item3cab9dd1a4

I've used one of these that you just hook on towbar and them use it to pull trailer and boat up slipway.

Comment

Those would more than likely do but i sort of have a "motive" here, always fancy'd a large winch so this way i get to fit one and it'll have the dual purpose if you know what i mean, anyway if and when i do it i'll post some pics up, need to get some steel plate to make the tray and bracketry,
                        cheer's mate

Comment

Working...
                        X