Split Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Rims

I have a set of split rim wheels in need of cleaning up. Is it safe to undo the bolts so's I can paint the centre?

Be sure to release the air in case

Comment

As long as there is not an inflated tyre on them its safe, but if you are going to split them you need to be sure you are goiing to be able to reseal them when they go back together.
      Сви можемо

Comment

It sounds like I've got it wrong. The rim on these wheels is one piece with the centre (disc) that can be unbolted. Are they Modulars then?

What ever they're called I was concerned that they may be pre stressed (like spoked wheels) and that being so, getting them back together would be next to impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Long way 'round View Post
          I have a set of split rim wheels in need of cleaning up. Is it safe to undo the bolts so's I can paint the centre?
          Hello Jason. If you decide not to use them, I'm looking for a set. Are they anything like these?...............
          Attached Files
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

It`s not a hard job but they dont separate how you think they will I`m guessing

quite a good thread on it here http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing...?f=9&t=1067677

And here http://www.wheel-whores.com/forum/vi...php?f=7&t=7249
            Last edited by JD_975; 7 February 2012, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
              Hello Jason. If you decide not to use them, I'm looking for a set. Are they anything like these?...............
              That's them, mine are in dark blue. I've only just got them off of eBay for £185 for all five. They just need a polish around the outside otherwise they're in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Long way 'round View Post
                That's them, mine are in dark blue. I've only just got them off of eBay for £185 for all five. They just need a polish around the outside otherwise they're in good condition.
                What did you search for on ebay ? I've been looking for ages for a set of splits

Mick, We're obviously not looking in the right places M8

Comment

I've been looking for ages as well. Just typed in "toyota hilux surf wheels" and they came up with a buy it now. I usually filter for "used" otherwise you get loads of Chavtastic 22" wheels for a surf.

Comment

Cheers Jason, will have to keep on looking .... race you Mick

Comment

I recall a thread some time ago where Popeye (I think sorry if wrong Ian!) split his rim. Even though he was only removing the centre piece, separate from where the tyre is mounted, it deflated with pressure. It's vague, may be I dreamt it.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I have a set of 4 rims just like those in the pic posted by MWS. If anyone's got a matching spare tucked away somewhere please let me know....

Thanks

Comment

Yes it was me! mine are three piece rims, which i reversed so the wider part was on the outside, i believe there are two piece rims but never seen any, you need to let the air out (unlike my first attempt, nearly blew my head off)
                          and get the tyres removed as you will need to spread a quality sealant on the mateing faces when you re assemble them, worth the effort tho polishing them,
                          Attached Files
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                            Yes it was me! mine are three piece rims, which i reversed so the wider part was on the outside, i believe there are two piece rims but never seen any, you need to let the air out (unlike my first attempt, nearly blew my head off)
                            and get the tyres removed as you will need to spread a quality sealant on the mateing faces when you re assemble them, worth the effort tho polishing them,
                            You don't really want to hang on to those awful, shabby looking things, Do you, Ian? I could be persuaded to do you a favour, and take them off your hands...........Save you a trip to the local tip, eh?.....................
                            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                              You don't really want to hang on to those awful, shabby looking things, Do you, Ian? I could be persuaded to do you a favour, and take them off your hands...........Save you a trip to the local tip, eh?.....................
                              but then i'd have no wheels!! i'll have to put up with them i guess
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X