Torsion bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion bars

i want a 2" lift but can't find a kit cheaper than £409.

Can i buy the rear springs then the 2 front and 2 rear dampers and just wind up the torsion bar for the 2" lift at the front???

cheers
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Yup. or spring spacers even.

Or even even, you could do it without the shocks for 2"

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
      i want a 2" lift but can't find a kit cheaper than £409.

Can i buy the rear springs then the 2 front and 2 rear dampers and just wind up the torsion bar for the 2" lift at the front???

cheers
      Easiest way is as per your 2nd option.

There is a 3rd option whereby you get springs, shocks and then some ball joint spacers for the front, with a diff drop spacer to protect the Front CV's.

This way you leave the torsion bars alone and don't get a harsh ride from the suspension. You will need to get a tracking and geometry check on the front end though.

Comment

You can, but worn bars will often ride oddly when you put them under more pressure.

Try it, if you feel its ok, fine, if not then get the bars later.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
          This way you leave the torsion bars alone and don't get a harsh ride from the suspension. You will need to get a tracking and geometry check on the front end though.
          Don't forget the truck is higher, so rolls easier round corners, and will probably have bigger tyres working the bars and shocks harder, so you do need to uprate the suspension to make a nice job of it.

Don't take to many short cuts on important stuff like suspension and steering.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            Don't forget the truck is higher, so rolls easier round corners, and will probably have bigger tyres working the bars and shocks harder, so you do need to uprate the suspension to make a nice job of it.

Don't take to many short cuts on important stuff like suspension and steering.
            i see your point tony the only reason why i said about winding the bars up is that in a previous post someone said you should only have uprated bars if you have extra weight ie winch bumper and bull bar, is this true?

cheers

Comment

You need then more if you have things like winch bumper and winch, and big tyres etc...

But like I said, try it first, not many people use them and are perfectly happy as they are all tight ( ) but every truck I've fitted the uprated bars to has felt better with them, especially trucks on 33's and with body lifts, as a body lift does nothing to uprate the suspension, but makes the truck taller so more barge like round corners without stiffer springs.

If you want my opinion...

If you're sticking with just +2" rear coils, new shocks and 31's on alloys, lift the front about 1" max and stick with the stock bars.

If you planning other mods, more than 1 1/2" of front lift, body lifts, bigger tyres or heavy steel wheels, and going to be giving it a bit of stick offroad, get the uprated bars.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                You need then more if you have things like winch bumper and winch, and big tyres etc...

But like I said, try it first, not many people use them and are perfectly happy as they are all tight ( ) but every truck I've fitted the uprated bars to has felt better with them, especially trucks on 33's and with body lifts, as a body lift does nothing to uprate the suspension, but makes the truck taller so more barge like round corners without stiffer springs.

If you want my opinion...

If you're sticking with just +2" rear coils, new shocks and 31's on alloys, lift the front about 1" max and stick with the stock bars.

If you planning other mods, more than 1 1/2" of front lift, body lifts, bigger tyres or heavy steel wheels, and going to be giving it a bit of stick offroad, get the uprated bars.

I basically want to fit 32s on 15x7 so the rear might be ok but the front will be too low won't it?

Comment

Going back to the 1st post in this thread (combined with the last). You want 2" of lift cheap to fit 32's? Just do a 2" body lift job jobbed. Need a little more? Add rear coil spacers and wind up the bars. Need more? LC rear springs or Surf +2" springs and spacers, +2" shocks, up rated torsion bars, ball joint spacers, Diff' and ARB mount spacers. FWH's a good idea at this point. Need more? (35's or loads of articulation): lots of fabrication/money - get a different base vehicle!

10% of posts on here covered?

;-)

Comment

I have a pair of Ironman uprated torsion bars that I never fitted

Comment

Originally posted by GBV8 View Post
                      I have a pair of Ironman uprated torsion bars that I never fitted
                      How much?

Comment

i could be tempted with the uprated bars if the price is right.

I presume they will fit a '94 3L. KZN130?

Comment

i have a pair of 3" rear coil spacers im not needing

Comment

Working...
                          X