Gen 2 or gen 3???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 or gen 3???

Hi guys, as you can see I am new on this site, I can't decide whether to buy gen 2 or a gen 3, can anyone tell me if there's any major differences (apart from the shape) what I should consider before taking my pick? is there many good gen 2's left out there? I have had a look at a few and they seem to be rust buckets, should I up my budget and try find a nicer gen 3? Any help would be kindly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jay

Get a 1st gen. They can't be beaten.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay_jnr View Post
      Hi guys, as you can see I am new on this site, I can't decide whether to buy gen 2 or a gen 3, can anyone tell me if there's any major differences (apart from the shape) what I should consider before taking my pick? is there many good gen 2's left out there? I have had a look at a few and they seem to be rust buckets, should I up my budget and try find a nicer gen 3? Any help would be kindly appreciated.
      Cheers
      Jay
      Major difference on the 3rd, steering rack, chassis, multi mode transfer {on most} 16" wheels standard, bigger brakes, larger cabin, lift up rear hatch but retains the power rear window.

There will be more but that's enough to go 3rd gen for a road trip truck.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        Major difference on the 3rd, steering rack, chassis, multi mode transfer {on most} 16" wheels standard, bigger brakes, larger cabin, lift up rear hatch but retains the power rear window.

Longer wheelbase too so more comfortable ride.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Longer wheelbase too so more comfortable ride.
          In other words Jay, buy a 3rd gen.

If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

But beware that used 3rd gen parts are scarce so you may end up paying full price for any bits you need.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              But beware that used 3rd gen parts are scarce so you may end up paying full price for any bits you need.
              Are they?
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Well I know a front bumper just went for 200 used...

Have a look in the parts for sale section for 3rd gen parts....

Edit: just had a look not much there is there?
                Last edited by wishbone; 18 January 2012, 01:14.

Comment

Ebay has a few bits for the 3rd gen at the minute
                  I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just wondering, how much would my 3rd gens alloy winch bumper be worth then?
                    I might be selling it to pay for a new TIG machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Just wondering, how much would my 3rd gens alloy winch bumper be worth then?
                      I might be selling it to pay for a new TIG machine.
                      It depends if a few want it, then the bidding war starts usually! Keep lukenemma clear though...

Comment

My bad I didn't realise that 3rd gen parts were as easy to get as 2nd gen ones. I guess they're the same price too ?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                          My bad I didn't realise that 3rd gen parts were as easy to get as 2nd gen ones. I guess they're the same price too ?
                          Nah mate 3rd gen bits seem to get abundant one minute then nothing for quite a while! the prices between the 3rd and 2nd gens can be vast depending on who's selling it at the time

Comment

you can get 3rd gen Intercooled too. I had a 2.4 2nd gen, loved it until the head went pop. bought a 3rd gen 3 intercooled for 3.5 in good condition. never missed a beat, and much quicker. not driven a non-intercooled 3rd gen, so can't directly compare, but im impressed by mine.

andy
                            If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

The only reason to get a 2nd Gen is to save money, 3rd Gens really are slightly better all round.

Unless you want a truck type tailgate. You lose a handy table with out and about, but gain something to stand under when its raining.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X